Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking the Plunge!

Howdy folks,

I'm about to dive into the hobby of Home Automation...

I'm Very Excited

I've been lurking on the board here for a bit.. this board as a resource and the capability of the product are the main reasons i'm going with HomeSeer.

I have one nagging concern though...

Learning Curve...

Will i be able to understand scripting and plugins in a reasonable amount of time?

I do have significant background in industrial controls... I was responsible for 12 years for a Distributed Control System at a coal fired power plant... I could make that system do anything we wanted with it's proprietary language and/or regular old "C". (L&N MAX system... z80 processors... yes i'm old...)

Before that i programed and maintained a SCADA system for our load managment system.... also proprietary language and FORTRAN...

I have not done much Visual Basic except for some customized Excel spreadsheets to cut down on redundancy of data entry..

I think i have the capability.. but the old noggin is revolting against the thought of learning another language....

On Scripting...
    Is it fairly intuitive?

Is there standard flow control (If/Then, Do/While, When <event>) ?

I just purchased a 3400 Fujitsu with the hopes of having that be the main user interface... I can make basic Web Pages in Frontpage/MSPublisher..... but i have never delved into HTML... and until this last week on this board... i never heard of ASP...

With Mainlobby or some such plugin/software... Will i be able to approach the quality of control screens that i see some of you have posted?

What I want to do with H.S/H.A

Zoned Whole House Audio
    Intercom System. (using same microphones for H.S. VR)

Various HA items such as:

Motion detectors to control Coach lights ... On full at dusk, Dim to 50% at 11:00 pm.. Undim to full brightness for 5 minutes if motion is detected.

Inform over Whole house Audio when Washer and Drier are done.

When Motion detected in hallway in middle of night...bring lights on to very low Dim state..

Etc...

I can flow chart all this stuff.(how i envision it to work) .. and i have equipment picked out that i'm going to start purchasiing..

I am going with Zwave (because we have many dirty Power Supplies on the lines) and an X10 RF reciever (W800?)

My other initial purchases are going to be:

AP400/800 for mic mixing...
    AVS8x8 for zoned audio output.
    Some cheap amplifiers for zone audio.
    Whatever plugins are needed...

Wife is VERY excited about some of the things i've told her about.. (coach lights... and yes i got the idea from this board... )

I guess i'm just asking ... how long should it take me to figure out how to write a script for things like the Coach lights...? Something like A couple of 2 hour evenings? Or is the average learning curve a bit longer?

I figure after i learn the basics... it will be no problem

Any advice?
    Any Recomendations?
    Any Words of Encouragement?

Sorry this is so longwinded...

Thanks in advance for any input.

Andrew
    Regards,

Andrew B.

Hi Andrew

Well I'd like to welcome you to the forum. I am very much a newbie, 9 months into automation and I feel like I'm still on the starting blocks. Being in the US, your going to have lots of options for connectivity and hence I cant comment on most of them ie: Z-Wave, insteon etc.

As far as Automation goes, there are a few must have plugins however I'm sure many have different opinions. Stuff like Doomotion that manages lights, occupancy, dusk/dawn is great. The ACRF plugin to manage the W800 receiver is excellent as it supports up to 8 receivers allowing great RF coverage over your property. Couple that with some keyfobs and palmpads, you'll have LOTS of fun. My kids each have heir own and I made sure, they cant turn on each others bedroom light :-)

I always thought the HAWKEYE units were toys, being battery operated however these units are just a must have. On E-Bay, you can pick them up direct cheap and thanks to reasonable shipping rates, I've got 15 of them scattered around the house, both inside and out.

Main Lobby is the ants pants when it comes to a GUI interface. Couple that with a touch panel and the WAF will remain high ! We've got a ML screen in the kitchen and soon to have another one upstairs at the top of the stairs.

If your conscious about security, consider integrating something like an ELK into the system. You can almost completely drive the panel from HS/Main Lobby which means you dont need to stick keypads around the house. HS can drive the relays on the ELK panel and the inputs are mapped into DOOmotion which is a bonus.

I have not implemented house audio as its not cheap in Australia. I have through put a few speakers around the house with a 10W amp on it and Kate tells us whats going on. I can really recommend the Text to Speech voice pack, its great.

I've got a BETA plugin from PAK that drives little 24 bit ethernet i/o boards that are around the house. These are fantastic, allows a unified cabling system ie: ethernet, has inbuilt port scanners so you dont need to poll the units for status change and outputs are toggled instantaneously. I've found if I was on a pure X10 sollution, the WAF would crash as things take too long to turn on. I've put a box in the ceiling and wired back each light to a contactor.... its FAST and reliable and cheap

As far as scripting goes, I'm only new and cant offer advice however there is HUGE amounts of support on the boards.

Also, the SMS plugin works great, you ALWAYS know whats going on.

I may not have answered your questions however one thing I have learnt, dont rush in and make it all mainstream.. things will go wrong and can seriously KILL the WAF... test, test, run it for a few weeks in the garage/study and then introduce things when u feel its stable enough....

Enjoy..Pete
    HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Like Pete said, Welcome to the board. When I started out I wasn't that good at scripting, and while I am getting better, I can't touch what others are doing. But with Homeseer sometimes you will will be able to acomplish what you need without a script. But if you come to need a script for something there are a lot of good examples that are in the Homeseer/script directory when you download the program. Also, this board has a great bunch of people that are always there to help with a question.

I would second the Doomotion and the ACRF plugin, as I have had good results with both.

Even though I haven't seen much talk about it lately, I would think if you are going to go with zwave I would get the serial interface instead of the usb. I have the usb and I have sometimes where I get errors, but not as much with HS 2.1 as with previous builds.

I use Mainlobby and I think it is nice for the touchscreens. I would recommend it if you don't want to create your own html pages. There is also a touchpad interface for Homeseer that some people are using and they seem to like it as well.

Hope some of this helps.

Comment

Andrew,
        In addition to what others are saying, we are here to help with any questions you may have in your HA journey.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Congratulations on your decision. I am quickly coming up on 1 year of home automation. It's an ever-evolving project. I will say that it is definitely a life changer and that I would never return to the the "old" ways.

Comment

Welcome to the club, Andrew. When you get to the audio portion of your design, let me know if you have any questions. I've been working on a VR/intercom/monitor system involving the AP800 in some shape or form for a year or so now and have just gotten to the implementation phase.

You'll also find many people willing to help you with scripting/programming here, myself included.

Modern languages are no different than the "C" you're used to. The syntax changes, but the concepts pretty much stay the same. HA lends itself fairly well to procedural programming, so you don't really need to worry about the object-oriented stuff.

Dan

Comment

Welcome.

I have been using HS for a couple of years and I still don't know how to do scripts.
              Basically I have not needed to I have a large setup and have found that you can do most of what you want using the events basically you can say if this happens do this, i.e. turn on a light or appliance speech etc.
              And on the few occasions that I have needed a script then the people on here are sooo helpful as you can see :-)

Mainlobby is amazing I am not good at designing things and I am not arty but I have easily put together a bunch of screens that look great and professional.

Comment

Welcome Andrew.

I believe the best way to learn scripting is to take existing scripts and read through them, then make a small modification to better suit your needs. If you have programmed in the past it should be even easier to understand.
                -Tom

Visit Kernhome
                Kern Theater Gallery

(User: guest / Pass: guest)

Comment

Thank you all for the words of encouragement...

As i said at first... one of the main reasons i picked H.S. is because of the help and knowledge made available through you-all in these boards.

I've started to buy stuff !

A friend at work (just by me talking about what i want to do has gotten him interested in it as well ! ) and I went in together and found 17 Fujitsu 3400's with base and all accessories for $150/per ... so i'll have 7 of these to use as control pads around the house... If it's overkill... i can find someone that wants them at my cost... but it seemed a good deal.

I've got a couple of hawkeyes coming...

I've aquired a PIII 500 mhz machine to be my initial H.S. machine... (enough horsepower?)

I think i'll start with light control for Basement lights... (kids and Me <SHEEPISH grin>forget to turn off the basement lights after getting soda's out of the fridge down there.... )

Also going to start pulling speakere wires for Master B.R. and Kitchen... for the start of Whole house audio... (I am soooo lucky to have a split level house ... with attic access over Every room except the "den"... and there is a crawl space below that )

I'll probably download/purchase the main H.S. program either this weekend or next...

I'll be posting all sorts of questions... so my appologies in advance ... i'll try to use the search... but i'm sure i'll miss some and ask questions that are common knowledge to everyone else...

I am EXCITED ... i haven't had this much fun in AGES ! ... and i'm just in the planning stage.

Thanks again for the feedback and most importantly ... being here as a resource

Andrew.
                  Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

Originally posted by ArbWare
                    I've aquired a PIII 500 mhz machine to be my initial H.S. machine... (enough horsepower?)

Andrew.
                    This will be on the fringe for running HS 2.1 especially if your planning on using Text To Speech and VR. Also load it with as much RAM as you can. The .net runtimes like RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
                      This will be on the fringe for running HS 2.1 especially if your planning on using Text To Speech and VR. Also load it with as much RAM as you can. The .net runtimes like RAM.
                      I just received the machine..

It's actualy a Compaq PIII 1GHZ with 256 mb ram and 20 gb hard drive.
                      2 serial ports
                      2 usb ports
                      On Board vid/sound

Will this be good for a bit? I can probalby take the ram up to 512 with some cheap memory.

Thanks for the heads up..

Andrew
                      Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

Originally posted by ArbWare
                        I just received the machine..

It's actualy a Compaq PIII 1GHZ with 256 mb ram and 20 gb hard drive.
                        2 serial ports
                        2 usb ports
                        On Board vid/sound

Will this be good for a bit? I can probalby take the ram up to 512 with some cheap memory.

Thanks for the heads up..

Andrew
                        That's much better and yes 512MB is a minimum for running .net applications and 768 or 1 gig will be just right.

Comment

Working...
                        X