room to room tracker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

room to room tracker

ok guys, time to get excited again. I want to build a system, now this can be like rfid tags or bigger BUT i need soemthing i can put on people, be it a unit like a pager or something, then as they move from room to room the system can tell homeseer who is in what room. and that they have just moved rooms, it has to be acurate not aproxamate?

has anyone seen or played with anything like this?
    detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Just some thoughts...

RFID with receivers in each room, and each receiver's gain tuned so they only see tags in their room. Would require mounting each receiver in the middle of each room (antenna in the ceiling, pointing down, which would not be too intrusive). This would give you romm-by-room resolution, but not where in a room resolution. For really big rooms, you could use multiple receivers, and know what region of each room each person is in... You could also get fancier by increasing the gain of each receiver to cover more than one room and use multiple receivers to triangulate location, but that would require some serious scripting, and the script would have to fire very often to kep track of everyone... so that may be too much!

As far as what each person carries, I thik they make RFID tags the size of a credit card, and also make a watch-like tag.
    John
    Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
    Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
    HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
    Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

what happens if the rfid tag is picked up by 2 receivers? does it pick the stongest signal?
      detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

cbl, whatever solution you choose will need a little scripting/logic to figure it out. I think the RFID hardware gives signal strengths... I've read a bit on it but have never used it, so I can't tell you for sure.

Here is a related post.. might be a good idea to repost in the iAutomate RFID plugin forum and/or see if you can get a mod to move this thread there...

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=109759

Considering the large scale of the system you're considering, you may want to iAutomate.com directly and see if they can help you with a custom solution.
        John
        Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
        Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

And here's another good post: http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?...c=2075&hl=rfid
          John

Comment

cool. so in my house i would need say 1 receiver in each room , thats....18 rooms. how to all the receivers talk back to homeseer? dont tell me each one has to have a seperate serial connection? or can they all tie into a sinles data line?

Comment

Have you priced the recievers? Better hope to win Lotto.
              Thanks,

T.

Comment

I have no idea what these cost, but here's a Wi-fi approach to the same thing:

http://www.ekahau.com

Hospitals and warehouses have looked at various systems like this to track inventory and now personnel.

The guys that came up with VNC (at AT&T) also were working on an IR badge system for locating people and things. Since IR is stopped by walls and is usually cheaper than RF solutions, it might be a better solution for homes.

BTW, solutions are now being called RTLS - real-time locator systems - and here's some data on the market, etc.:

http://www.idtechex.com/products/en/...tcategoryid=98
                |
                | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
                HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

Have you priced the recievers? Better hope to win Lotto.[/QUOTE]yeah i just looked EEK !!!! i had figured around $100 for a receiver. well they may come down

Comment

Working...
                  X