localhost not working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

localhost not working?

I can access my web page via the 127.0.0.1 IP or by the machines IP but If I referance localhost It does not work.

127.0.0.1 localhost - This is the first line in my HOSTS file. has anyone else had this trouble?

TIA

-Orlando
    -Skybolt

what happens when you ping localhost from the command line? Can you also confirm that you are editing hosts (without extension) and not hosts (with a hidden .txt extension maybe)? Just a few ideas.
    HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
    (aka xplosiv)
    Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

I have had this problem in the past when I used a port other than 80.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rupp:
        I have had this problem in the past when I used a port other than 80. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's because when you're browsing all webservers (with the exception of special setups like many of us, self included, where you set it up specially) will try to connect to port 80. All HTTP traffic defaults to 80. When you type an address into your web browser the first thing your browser does is resolve the address to an IP address by checking the hosts file and then through DNS. Once it gets the IP address of the destination computer it tries to connect on port 80 which is why if you setup Homeseer on another port you have to type in 703 or whatever you put as your listening port in Homeseer.

As for the problem you're having Orlando, I'd definitely say follow Dan's advice about checking for the hidden extension on there. Speaking from experience, if you open up your host file, make some changes you're probably doing it with Notepad which has a way of saving everything with a txt extension. Make the changes you need to, save it, then go back in a delete the .txt externally when you're done.

Comment

Dan And FireBall,

I can ping localhost and the hosts file does not haqve an extension to it. HomeSeer is running on port 80. This is very strange. I had some other routing enteries which I deleted as a test and no luck.

Thanks for the sugjestions.

-Orlando
          -Skybolt

Comment

are you running more than one web server on the same machine. For example apache and homeseer or IIS and Homeseer. I forgot to turn one off once and had two running at the same time on the same port 8080 and when i type localhost:8080 it would not work. but when i typed 198.168.0.0.1 or whatever that ip is that worked but it only showed the apache files.

Not sure why this is but simply switching the port on one of the servers worked out my problem.

Comment

Just using HS as the web server.

Thanks

-Orlando
              -Skybolt

Comment

what happens when you type in telnet localhost 80 at the command prompt? Does it return a message saying connection refused, or does it sit there allowing you to type (if it does, hit enter a few times, you should see the server response)?
                HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
                (aka xplosiv)
                Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Dan if I use telnet localhost 80 the cmd screen goes blank with a blinking cursor and hitting enter returns to the cmd window not a Telnet session. This is the same response if I use the IP address 127.0.0.1. This would not be an issue except it's on my development machine which is an exact replica of my server, except for the development tools. IIS is not running.

Thanks for your help.

-Orlando
                  -Skybolt

Comment

try the following. it worked for me after i had to rebuild my machine ...

1. In Internet Explorer, choose Tools-&gt;Internet Options.
                    2. Click the Connections tab.
                    3. Click the LAN Settings button.
                    4. Uncheck the "Automatically detect settings" box, assuming it's
                    checked.

Comment

well dpriest I never thought to try that one. I went straight to the hosts file and bypassed the obviuos! Thnaks.

-Orlando
                      -Skybolt

Comment

Working...
                      X