Best way to synchronize mail on laptop and desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to synchronize mail on laptop and desktop

I currently have a desktop computer where HS is running and a laptop computer connected by a Linksys wireless G Router.

I use Microsoft Outlook as my mail application on both computers. I have multiple mail profiles setup in Outlook and am wondering what the best way to synchronize the personal folders and contacts is.

When I sign on to the laptop I would like the personal folders for the user signed on to the laptop copied to the laptop so that the laptop has the most current personal folder info. Also, when the user logs off of the laptop I would like to sync up the personal folders back onto the desktop so that the desktop now is up to date in case the desktop is used again instead of the laptop.

Is there an easy way to do this? I am sure people must be doing something like this. I am just not sure the best way to do it.

I would appreciate any ideas.
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Bob,
    I use Outlook express but the way I do it is simple. I set my mail clients to leave a copy of the mail message on the server. This way I always get the latest mail on both clients. Then I set the option to delete the mail from the server after 5 days. This way it doesn't pill up on the server.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Bob,

I can sympathise with you on this one. I have a laptop, homeseer Server and PDA with a SMTP/POP email configuration. PDA / homeseer sync via autosync which works very well.

My ISP at present doesn't support other email protocols ( BT, well they do but they wan't to charge lots of £££ for it). I've tried a local email server which worked but made the environment so much more complicated that I de-installed it again. There are various PST sync tools of which I have tried many, but the common issue is that the PST has to be closed before the sync tool works.

There are several companies offering Exchange hosting at reasonable rates, I'm considering this at present, typically under $15 a month (www.mailstreet.com). This would solve the problems i.e. laptop / server / pda will all sync to a central mailbox.

Alternatively I've thought about a writing a simple vbs script to run on the server to effectively resend the emails (via my isp) from homeseer server to laptop. This could be set to trigger via a rule upon receiving an email request from the laptop and delete the emails on the server at the same time. A bit ugly but our choices are limited.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Comment

Blade,
        I have just about the same setup as you do. Since my desktop is always running, I have my PST file only on the desktop and have set outlook to use that file on the desktop. That way it is always updated from either machine.
        The only drawback to this setup is that if you get out of range of the router, Outlook is useless, However I just use it around the house, deck or basement and hardly ever take it out!

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

Another thing I have noticed with the wireless G connection on the laptop is that when I map a shared driectory on my desktop PC, it takes a while to view the directory initially at first, but then it is fast.

Is there a better way or a router setting or computer setting I am missing to get faster and mroe reliable mapping of network drives. I am using XP Pro on both machines.
          Cheers,
          Bob
          Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

I use a software package at the office called Outlook Folders which allows you to share an Outlook .PST file on one machine with Outlook on other machines and DOES NOT require Exchange Server - it's kind of like a mini-exchange server without the overhead. We use it to share the company contact list, calendar, and job tracking info. It's very stable, easy to install and brainless to use. It also has the capability to act as an e-mail server, but we don't use that capability so I don't know how well it works.

They also have a product called QSynchronization that will sync your notebook Outlook to your desktop Outlook.

I would HIGHLY recommend Outlook Folders to anyone that needs to share Outlook data between PCs but does not want to deal with Exchange.
            Best regards,
            -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
            Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Bob.

I take it that you don't use Outlook at the same time on the Desktop and Laptop as this would mean 2 copies having the pst open at the same time.

Phill

Comment

Mark.

I've just had a look at the Outlook Folders program. I think this is similar to several programs using folders, the issue with this is that Autosync (and most pda sync tools) seem to have the default folders hard coded therefore they don't work with programs that change from them.

This maybe OK for Bob as he didn't mention a PDA requirement.

Phill

Comment

Phil,

Outlook Folders is not anything like the folder synching s/w you refer to. It allows full access to the 'server' .PST file by all of the remote users. It does not perform any synching - that's something that the user will need to do by manually dragging things between folders. The QSync program I mentioned in my earlier post will sync up two copies of Outlook and if memory serves, it allows you to pick and choose what gets synch'd.
                  Best regards,
                  -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                  Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Working...
                  X