Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can VLAN add security to the network for Homeseer web server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can VLAN add security to the network for Homeseer web server?

I recently ran some extra wires in the house and now I have a 24-port 3Com 3330 managed switch in the basement rack. This switch is capable of VLAN set up but I have no clue what it is, but somehow I believe it has something to do with security.

Now the question is can I set up my access point to this VLAN set up as well as my Homeseer server, this way, they're isolated from the rest of the stuff. I'm already behind a linksys router but I'm trying to get the most out of this switch if possible.

I understand this is not quite related to HS, so if it gets deleted, I can totally understand.

Thanks for any help,

Simon

I can not see a reason why this would get deleted. Anyways, a VLAN basically allows you to 'segment' the ports on your switch, each vlan would act as a seperate 'virtual' switch, so you can run several subnets on the same switch, yet they are totally segmented as they would be when using several seperate switches. It's a pretty cool option, but usually can only be found on high end switches.

Btw, where did you get your rack? I am still looking for a cheap rack (Ebay wants too much in s/h). If you got a good deal on that switch, definitely let me know too

Let me know if you got more questions.
    HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
    (aka xplosiv)
    Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your response, much appreciated. Now I understand what VLAN is, my next question is how to get it set up with the 3Com switch?

The switch has a web interface and I've attached a screenshot of the VLAN main page.

When I click on the port that's active, I get another page which has some more options. Again, I've attached the screenshot below.

I got the switch and rack for free from work. These 3Com switches for some reason, they didn't work quite well with some lab equipment so we got rid of some of them. The one I have it even has a gigabit fibre.

The rack is made by Blackbox I believe and it came with 48-port x3 patch panels and a cable management. It's an awesome rack and I only needed to buy a shelf for my HS computer. When I get some extra cash, I may go for a rack-mount case.

I'll get a picture taken for the rack and post. Too bad I didn't take any pictures before as I was using a patio table for holding all the stuff, it was just terrible

Thanks Dan,

Simon
      Attached Files

Comment

Here goes the second screenshot.
        Attached Files

Comment

Something to consider... segmenting your switch into multiple VLAN's literally does just that. For all intents and purposes, they are separate segments meaning that in order to connect them, they need to be routed to each other.

Just wanted to assure you were cognizant of that. VLANs bring an additional level of complexity you may not want in a home network.

Comment

I agree with Bartman, there are a lot of things to consider when you start segmenting. The main one for you will be access to the internet. If you want more than one segment to access the internet through the same connection, you will need a router that has a seperate lan connection for each subnet(vlan) plus a connection for the internet side. Once that router is installed, the seperation between segments is logically lost, unless you add filters to control the traffic. That means more complication and a more expensive router. Also a tremendous amount of research to learn about IP addressing, subnets, routing, filters, etc, etc.
            You mentioned the problems with the 3Com. One that is common is auto negotiation of speed and duplex. Some equipment can end up in half duplex while the switch is in full. If you are unsure, it may be better to hard code it to match your device.
            If you like to experiment and do a lot of head scratching, have at it. But this switch is a lot like driving a locomotive to go food shopping. It's big and powerful, and buy the way, it wasn't cheap.

Comment

for a home network, where you control who does what with the wires and PCs, I would think VLAN would be an unwieldly hassle. Unless you just want to learn.

Gotta have a router if you VLAN.

corporate enterprises often segregate wireless LAN access points onto a separate VLAN. And some of the better W-LAN access points create VLAN's in the ether- and run multiple SSIDs, to segregate guests vs fully priviledged users of the W-LAN.

Comment

Working...
              X