Announcement

Collapse

Contacting HomeSeer This Week

HomeSeer is open and operational this week. All orders are being processed and shipped as usual. However, some staff are working from home. If you need to contact HomeSeer for support or customer service, please use our Email or Chat options. https://homeseer.com/contact-us/
See more
See less

ECMA 262 scripting standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECMA 262 scripting standard

Standard Scripting Language

Has anyone ever looked at this scripting language? Similar to Java and would seem to be a step above vbscript.

I have seen implementations of this in workflow tools.

Dang Steve it's hard enough to keep a handle on VB, VBscript, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, ASP, XML, XHTML, XSLT, SOAP, and XPath let alone have to learn yet another language.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

My understanding is that it's basically JavaScript. They are making some minor changes and standardizing it. In fact Microsofts version of Javascript (JScript) is ECMAScript.

Comment

No, no. ECMAScript *is* JavaScript! Years ago Netscape handed JavaScript over to ECMA, so they are the official custodians of the "JavaScript" standard. People still call it JavaScript because that's what it's best known as. A bit like calling a vacuum cleaner a hoover, even though it could be an Electrolux or a Dyson. (At least in the UK we're stuck in this bad habbit!)

Comment

Javascript. When I read this it was a lot like it but I didn't realize it was the same. I guess VBScript is OK but I like the object orientation and actually I would really like to be back in a compiled language environment. It's so much each to really catch all the errors instead of waiting to catch them in the interactive mode.

Comment

Rupp, it didn't really seem like another language though. I guess since it's Javascript.
            I am still hopeful that Doolittle will get the Java stuff going. On the other hand, we shouldn't fragment the HS community into scripting language sets as it will diminish our sharing of ideas.

Comment

Working...
            X