What kind of modulator are you using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of modulator are you using?

I was wondering what kind of modulator are you guys using in your AV distribution system.
    Also where can I buy them? Radio Shack has only those simple ones that transmit CH3 and CH4.
    Smarthouse has some that transmit in CATV range,ut the price...

Thanks

Marty

I use the NetMedia TriplePlay MM73's. They have 3 channels and are about 150 new but you can pick them up on Ebay and around from 60-100 bucks.

Comment

They don't make them anymore but some Radio Shacks have modulators similiar to what Smarthome has. My wife picked one up for me back in Feb. for about $25 or so. Transmits on any CATV over 60 or so and works great.

Comment

If you want the pro type at a cheap price, check below.

http://www.halted.com/store/product91.html
        Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

zoomkat

Blonder-tongue device looks interesting. Having difficulty though understand how to use it (ie: I'm having trouble deciphering the specs). Could you elaborate on how you're using them?

Thanks!

Comment

I swear by Blonder-Tongue equipment. I've been using them since 1977. But they are NOT consumer grade electronics.

Space-Cowboy, since Blonder-Tongue caters to professional installations, like Cable-TV companies, Hotels and apartment buildings, there are a lot of bells and whistles that you do not need. But the basics are there. If you put masking tape over everything except the Video-In, Audio-In and RF-Out, you can pretend it's a Radio-Shack unit. Un-cover some of those adjustments, however, and you'll find you can tune the daylights out of your video. You might even make an X10 camera look good.

Comment

I definitely would like some more info on that $20 Blonder-Tongue model. What else do I need if I get this etc. Thanks
              HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
              (aka xplosiv)
              Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

I have a channelplus 3025 (2) channel modulator
                I worked great for a year or so, I was having a problem with it not working anymore, I think either my cable company started using the channels that I was injecting on, or it just broke, either way I decided to stop using it becuase I rearanged everything. I'd still recomend it...
                Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

The chanelplus modulators are nice, but the price..

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dan:
                    What else do I need if I get this etc. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Dan:
                    I tried to find full specifications for that unit, but HSC's part number is incomplete. I don't think you would need anything else, if you simply wanted to modulate a Video/Audio signal onto a VHF, UHF or cable channel.

That particular unit was designed for the head-end of your cable TV provider. It would take a satellite channel or other video source and modulate it onto a cable channel for distribution. That's why it has so many extra features.

Comment

But the nice thing about that unit is that it probably has a frequency tolerance that would allow you to use adjacent channels instead of every other one. And you should also be able to do MTS stereo instead of a mono audio.

Comment

so I assume I just hook it up to my cable network, and I can broadcast a video signal using a certain channel? Can I pick which channel,or do I need to get a filter? Right now, my cable service offers channels between 1 and 90. Thanks!
                        HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
                        (aka xplosiv)

Comment

Dan,
                          Yes, you just add the modulator into your cable stream. Usually done with a splitter/combiner.
                          Yes, most modulators allow you to pick the channel you wish to use. I'm using ChannelPlus modulators for my DVD, VCR and outside cameras.
                          Yes, you really need a filter. Even though the cable company isn't using the channel, any slight signal will degrade your modulated signal. Not to mention that the filter keeps your modulated channel from going back out onto the cable lines and into your neighbors home. This is a no no with the FCC.
                          Another thing to watch for is if you have digital cable or a cable modem, you can not put a filter on the line as these devices require the higher frequency and needs bidirectional communication.

The Pod

Comment

Good discussion - I've been looking for some video modulators. I ordered a couple of the Blonder-Tongue models. ZookCat gonna get me in trouble with the wife
                            Bruce

"The universal answer is 42."

Comment

Thanks The Pod, that's some good info!

My cable company did run 1 feed in my house, but split it up in 2, one to the cablemodem, one to another splitter which feeds all my TV's, I guess that's where I will be placing this device. How many inputs can this device take? Which filter should I get (and where, maybe that site carries them too?). Any reason why this device is so cheap? I couldn't find it anywhere else for this price, but ebay. Thanks!
                              (aka xplosiv)

Comment

Working...
                              X