Noisy Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noisy Computer

I have a computer that is the nemesis of my X10 signals. I've tried several different plug in filters and even tried two in series yet any lighting in the area of the computer refuses to respond to X10 signals. Turn off the computer (and unplug) and all works fine. I've even changed the power supply in the computer. Any thoughts or suggestions aside from tossing the computer will be appreciated. Tossing the computer is the next opition.

scaleste,
    I had a friend that had a similar problem and he plugged his system into a UPS and plugged the UPS into the filter and it solved all his problems.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Are you sure its your computer that's having the problem? If you're having that many problems I'd suggest try unplugging it and see if you still have the problems.
      On the flip side, however, I'd try a different brand of power supply. Speaking from experience of having a noisy power supply plugged into a UPS plugged into a surge protector plugged into a surge protector (one corner of my living room is a bit of a fire hazard) you have plenty of problems that can be fixed with a different brand of power supply. Can't remeber what type I ended up putting in but I can say it was whatever was cheap at CompUSA.

Comment

Fireball he did state that he turned it off and unplugged it.

Comment

You may want to check your ground. If it is not grounded properly, noise filters will not help.

Jim

Comment

Make sure you are addressing the monitor too. I have a Sony 15" monitor that when powered by the signal line, will kill all X10. Had to take it through a UPS and block.

Comment

scaleste,
              Am I understanding that your x10 device in say the kitchen will not respond to a touchpad while you comp is running in the den, or is your computer noise interfering with your x10 interface. I ran a separate power line to my office in order to clear interference with my CM11A. Use an extention for a month until I had time to do the work.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rupp:
                Fireball he did state that he turned it off and unplugged it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops, sorry for not reading things clearly before I reply to them!
                In that case, I would definitely say try a different brand of power supply.

Comment

The errant devices are modules that are plugged in near (electrically) to the computer and a wall switch (X10) that is adjacent to the study where the computer is. No other modules are affected. Thanks for the suggestion for the extension chord. I use that for the modules that the lamps are plugged in. In my analysis (trial and error – analysis sounds so professional) I tried a number of experiments. With and without the monitors (dual monitors) plugged in, computer off, computer off and unplugged, different power supplies (different manufacturers), different modules, and it is the computer regardless of power supplies. I will pickup a UPS during my next shopping trek and give that a try. My concern is that there are 7 computers in the house and the way my luck goes a cat will cross the front lawn and then another computer will start acting up. My goal is to devise a cost effective solid solution and the post the results.

Thanks to all for the comments.

Comment

scaleste,
                    Another easy way around this is to replace the X10 plugin modules that your having problems using, with Z-wave plugin modules and you'll save a lot of time, money, and be moving to a newer more stable technology.

Comment

Working...
                    X