No announcement yet.

More fun with audio distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is what I am doing. Cost effective and proven by other setups on this board

1 amp for each zone (Guarantees lots of clean power)
    1 Ocelot - To PC for IR commands
    1 IR Distribution box - To Ocelot
    1 stick on IR emitter for each amp - To Amps
    1 Distribution Amp - Splits audio signals from PC to each amp
    1 Viewsonic 10" wireless Airpanel touch screen as controller. (Got it working...Awesome!)

Use Winamp and multiple soundcards if you want to play different music in different rooms at the same time. For my application this is not an issue and I want the VR control so I am using the MediaPlayer plugin.

There has been a tonne of discussion and debate on this topic and one I have been researching for the last year.

Winamp gives you the multiple instances advantage but MediaPlayer gives you the VR advantage.

Now if only Media Player could do winamp tricks with the VR....that would rock.

Too bad we can't have the cake and eat it too. Good luck

Comment

Thanks for the reply kevind

A few questions:

1) Which IR distribution box did you use?
      2) Which distribution amp did you select?

Thanks

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kevind:

Now if only Media Player could do winamp tricks with the VR....that would rock.

Too bad we can't have the cake and eat it too. Good luck <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try the Seeramp beta plugin. That is exactly what I am planning on doing here pretty soon (the distributed audio).

Comment

here's what i do:

. i have stereo speaker wire running from my basement to a set of speakers in each room in my house

. i have bought 8 very cheap stereo amps - each of which drives one or more pairs of speakers

. i have created a serial port driven circuit that is basically 8 pairs of digital volume controllers that i can individually select & control in HS via the serial port. This device has 8 stereo inputs & 8 stereo outputs (all line level). Note that this unit does not switch - it only alters volume. it cost me about $30 in parts & lots of programming (happy to share all this)

. i use two sound cards - one for music that uses the above device & the other for TV/DVD/PVR audio distribution that is modulated with video & distributed to all the house tv's (channel 70)

. so, for whole house audio dist i only allow 1 source to play at a time - but it could be as many as i have pc sound cards.

i would gladly help anyone who wants more info

steve

Comment

I suggest you look at the Netremote Nowplaying project. It has 5 independent zones.

John
            John

Comment

Has anyone looked at the new SpeakerCraft "All in one" whole home audio distribution units?
              The 8 zone system has an RS232 connection and would seem to integrate very well with HS.
              Also, it has a doorbell in audio connection that mutes what is currently being played and plays a doorbell audio file.
              The guy I talked to said it MAY be possible to run HS announcements through the doorbell in. Perfect! whole home audio with a way to play HS announcements!

Thanks
              Ty

Comment

Working...
              X