Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I send IR to a device using my IPAQ 5550?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I send IR to a device using my IPAQ 5550?

I have googled and can't find a definitive answer. Any of you guys doing this?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Yes you can. Doesn't your device have the Nevo application on it? It's a remote control app, with a large database of common IR components. With my Ipaq 2215, it came installed with mobile 2003. It even has a section for x10, but it must be a placeholder for future stuff (or with the assumption that someone owns an IR->x10 converter).

Comment

Mike,
      It was giving to me at work and the battery was dead. So when I fired it up all that was on it was what "comes" on it by default. All I got was the IPAQ and nothing else. I upgraded the OS last week and now I'm wanting to learn how to use it and load some software on it. Heck I don't even know how to do that

This is my first handheld so I'm stuck in th learning curve. I got the wireless 802.11b setup but that's about it. I'm open for suggestions. Is there a web site to get that software?

Comment

http://www.mynevo.com/index.html
        But read this:
        http://www.davesipaq.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1901

Comment

Are there any other solutions?

Comment

http://www.pdawin.com/tvremote.html

Probably one of the most used IR programs on pocket pc's.
            HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
            (aka xplosiv)
            Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Dan,
              It looks like none of them suport the 5550 series and this makes since due to the lack of IR hardware. Are there add on ir modules?

Comment

Rupp,

Since you already have an Ocelot, why not use the IPAQ to execute Homeseer Events through the web interface that will trigger the IR commands you want. IMO, this won't work very well for Vol+/- commands, Arrow keys, Ch+/- since the timing between commands is way to long for reliable and smooth operation.

It will work quite well to set up AV inputs, issue discrete power commands, etc. to set up a DVD mode. You can also use the SECU16 to sense whether a TV is On, before it issues a Power toggle command. But for satisfactory control while you are sitting in front of your TV/AV Center, why not just use a good and cheap programmable remote like one of the OFA remotes with a JP1 cable all for under $40. Here is a good write-up of what that is all about and has some screenshots of the tools at www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help

These remotes can be programmed to do anything a Pronto can do and they are very fast executing macros. Plus you can save all your programming to a PC and if the dog eats it or some one sits on it you don't have much of an investment. Buy a new one and reload your configuration.

You can use the handheld remotes to execute HS events with the Ocelot's IR match or get an IR543 (IR to x10 powerline ~$20) and you don't have to wire a distribution system.

I follow Remote Controls pretty regularly over at Remote Central and (I don't follow the PDA remotes but do help many of them struggle to get discrete commands working in PDA's that are known to work on Pronto's and OFA remotes)

It's my impression that using PDA's as remotes requires a learning curve and has limitations. I believe that most people put on add on IR emitters to boost the range and here is a recent thread that was started by a very enthusiastic PDAWin user that starts a discussion that descibes what I have seen over the past year or so. http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...thread.cgi?790

Just my $.02

-Jon

Comment

Rupp,
                  The url posted above by electron also list some extenders. Right now I think the 2215 has the only extended IR.
                  Michael

Comment

Rupp,

I have a 5450 which has Nevo and can issue the IR commands, and a 5550 that doesn't. Porting the Nevo software across to the 5550 didn't work, the newer PDA doesn't have the hardware. But it also doesn't have the huge range of hardware and software bugs that the 5450 had, so its worth the loss. (I suspect it wasn't deliberate de-scoping of the device that dropped IR between the 5450 and the 5550, it was more likely that they just couldn't get the thing to work with everything else in there (bluetooth, WiFi, fingerprint reader, ...)

There are devices such as the Griffin Total Remote (http://www.griffintechnology.com/sup...te/tr-019.html) that should work on the 5550 according to their website, and I have heard of another device that should also do the job but haven't been able to find it again. The Griffin needs a 3.5mm extender, presumably that is to route the sound signal up to the top of the device.

Has anyone any experience of one of these?

Michael

Comment

Rupp,
                      you're in good company.
                      http://www.space.com/astronotes/astronotes.html

Comment

Working...
                      X