Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free copy of Visual Basic .NET Standard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The mscomm thing has been annoying for a while now. I forget whether they removed it before VB5 or VB6 (standard). There are some third party comm components available that you can use. The commercial ones are ridiculously expensive. There are a few free ones out there that really only wrap the mscomm component so that you can use it in your own programs. I don't know if they work with .NET.

The lack of comm support was the single biggest thing to throw me off VB. To me, it was even worse than the other crippling they've done to standard versions. It's been years since I wrote a VB program because of this.

Unfortunately, I haven't really found a good replacement for quick-and-dirty programs that also provides serial port support. Any suggestions?

Edit follows:

By the way, you can download the actual compiler for free. What you are buying when you buy VB .NET Standard is the IDE and associated tools, not the compiler. If you are willing to work with a command line compiler, you don't need this. I don't know how easy it is to build user interfaces without the IDE, though.

I can never find the link for this when I look for it.

Another edit follows:

You can get the .Net SDK from this link:
    .NET updates page

The SDK on this page .NET Framework SDK Version 1.1 contains the command line tools you need to compile VB, C++, C#, etc.

I don't know what limitations these have. There may be components that are not included.

I have used these compilers to write a few "Hello World"-type programs in C# but that's about it.

Comment

You don't actually have to watch the movies, just say how you liked them......

Comment

Wow, I love getting free stuff from Microsoft! Hasn't happened since I won a copy of Win2k Pro. What's really funny is I was bored and decided to read the rules when I entered the contest to win a copy of WinME and apparently if you're Canadian you had to pass a basic math profiency test before they would let you have your prize.

Comment

I loved the movies - just enough to get my code and order .NET

Comment

Zimmer,
            thanks for the link! I just took advantage of it...

Comment

Quick and easy - no need to watch the movies. I did watch a couple tho.
              Bruce

"The universal answer is 42."

Comment

I made the mistake of putting a 1 Main st address so that I wouldn't get junk mailed to death.. Then realized that is how they were going to ship the CD (not download). So, someone at 1 Main St. will get a free CD.
                I sent them a correction email, but who knows if they will fix it.

Comment

zimmer62,
                  Thanks for the tip!
                  Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Your all welcome, I hope this turns out to be a worth while product. I also have some fears that it might be crippled, but we will have to wait and see.
                    Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zimmer62:
                      Your all welcome, I hope this turns out to be a worth while product. I also have some fears that it might be crippled, but we will have to wait and see. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have taken advantage of other similar offers from Microsoft in the past. When they were crippled, they said so on the web page. Usually they were not crippled, just very strict license terms. I did get a 90 day evaluation copy of Windows 2000 Server, and it did die on the 91st day. But my NT Small Business Server free single machine 5 CAL license was running until I upgraded it to 2000 (note: I could not use an upgrade license, had to buy a full price license since the SBS license was clearly coded as a freebie....).

Alan

Comment

Well it arrived yesterday. Anyone else get their copy yet?
                        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I got mine a few days ago but haven't really had a chance to do anything with it other than take it out of the box.

Comment

so does it look like the full package, or stripped down?
                            HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
                            (aka xplosiv)
                            Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Got mine a few days ago. I also haven't done anything except open the box. The box came from someplace other than MS so I was kind of surprised when I opened it and saw what was inside - I wasn't expecting it so soon.

Comment

Full package, 6 disk it included the MSDN docs 3 disk.

Comment

Working...
                                X