PC chimes when runnings scripts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC chimes when runnings scripts

The HS PC is making a chime sound (more of a bonk sound) when certain scripts are running. I've checked the logs and no errors there. It is repeatable - most of the time it occurs with a script that searches thru the HSP address book. I've looked for errors in HSP log and nothing there either.

Any ideas ?
    Bruce

"The universal answer is 42."

Is anything listed in the event viewer?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Is the script trying to play a wave file of look for any other file? I have had this symptom when I moved some wavs and needed to updates the paths in the scripts. You get the Windows error ding.

Rupp, 'event viewer', is this the same as the Event Log?

Comment

Scotsglen,
        If your running XP or Win2K right click on my computer and select manage. Then Event Viewer has 3 log files. I'm not sure what the event log is?

Comment

Do you have a TI103?

I had the same problem for 3 months that I could not track down. Finally my TI103 gave up the goast and died. When I replaced it with a new one the 'donks' went away.

George

Comment

I would be very interested in the outcome of this. I also recently have had the same thing happening! It is the windows default sound you would get if say you had an open dialog window for a program, and clicked on the main window of the program. It is the warning sound basically saying you "cant do that". kinda a "bonk" sound. Last night it did it 3 times in rapid succession. I would never have posed something so strange here, but it appears others have had this ahppening as well. I do not have a TI103 so I know it's at least not that

This just started recently and I have no new devices added to my system. It happens at random times (including the middle of the night!!!).

It did it the other night when I was sleeping and I asked "what time is it" when it woke me up. It was 3:28 in the morning. When I got up the next morning, there was nothing in the log for that time. I have been going nuts trying to track this down. I thought originally it was Norton Antivirus, but turning that off the other night did not cure the problem. It is VERY hard to track down as there are no events in the log at the times it occurs.
            Visit My Home Seer Site at:
            www.JohnWPB.com
            Created with LCARS

Comment

Well it did it for me consistantly whenever a script was running that did a lot of X10 commands. When I replaced the TI103 it hasn't done it since.

Maybe it's something else causing it and I changed that at the same time as the TI103 replacement but I'm hardpressed to figure out what it was.

I posted about the 'donk' sound a few months ago but, at that time, it seemed that no one else was having the problem.

Comment

Seems like it has always dinged.

Comment

Steve,

But that's not normal at all. It might be just annoying when it's only on your local PC but when every speaker in your house is tied to it and it's dinging at 1am, 3am, 4am in the morning it's a royal pain in the _______.

Comment

Yep, I turned my PA amp off again as I can cut down the speaking to just the minimum but I can't control the dinging. The Family gets pretty touchy about the dinging during their tv shows.
                    I keep hoping it will go away with the next release.
                    Somebody had the great idea of changing the wav file to be no sound. I had done that on my machine but when I rebuilt it, I just haven't taken the time to redo it. Curiosity keeps me listening to see if it goes away.

Comment

I tried out a 3rd party desktop theme once, that also enabled sounds for various PC events. This resulted in the same behavior for me. Go into Control Panel / Sounds and scroll through until you find the culprit or disassociate all sounds other than start-up and shutdown; that'll fix it.

Comment

What would be really nice is if HS.Mute muted speech and wav output coming from HS (if this ding is coming from within HS)

Comment

Ameridan,

That does not fix it but only masks it. The underlying problem that is causing the dinging is still there and it's still dinging under the covers. And also, what if I really wanted the windows 'error' sound (which is what it is) to inform me when there was a real error on my machine in the basement. Turning it off in the control panel now turns off all ability for me to know if my machine in the basement has an error event. Not a solution in my book.

Rupp,

It is coming out of HS, of because of HS, because on my system I can correlate the exact time the Ding occurred to a script or script sequence that was running. When you took HS down the dinging stopped as well.

Comment

I think I had something similar a while ago

I had Norton Antivirus with script blocking on...

I think Zonealarm has a script blocking/warning system too

Kevin

Comment

Nope,

No norton antiviris, no zonealarm, no anything on this system that blocks scripts. System is a vanilla dedicated Win/XP server that only runs HomeSeer and HomeSeer Phone.

G

Comment

Working...
                              X