Washer Complete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washer Complete?

I have just set up my new dryer to announce when the clothes are dryed and ready to be removed. I have it set to remind every 15 minutes until the door is open which indicates the clotes have been removed.

I have been looking over the scamatic for the washing machine but do not understand enough about it to figure out haw to tell if it is complete.

Any one know a way to do this.

Thanks In Advance

Thom

Thom,
    Search for CRmagnets and use one of these to monitor power usage. When the power usage drops the wash is done.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
      Thom,
      Search for CRmagnets and use one of these to monitor power usage. When the power usage drops the wash is done.
      That may not work because some washers pause(shutdown) completely between cycles or the little current that the fill valves take during filling for the rinse cycle may not be enough to trip a CRmagnet. I have seen washers that completely stop for a minute between cycles and the only thing running is the timer motor. Can the CRmagnet sensors detect the couple of watts a timer motor draws? That may not even work because the timer motor is paused while the tub fills up for the rinse cycle.

Otherwise, to answer Thom's question, without tapping into the wiring coming off the timer mechanism, I don't think there is any easy way to detect the cycle is done. Most washer timers I've seen have a diagram that shows what wires are live during different parts of the cycle. I just saw the one for my son's washer this week when we had to replace the timer mechanism. You need to find one wire that's live throughout the whole cycle.
      Dick
      HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Comment

I did the same thing with CRMagnet. Works like a charm with the dryer. Told me the wash was done about 5 times during the entire cycle. So I counted the cycles and had an event trigger after the appropriate number of "off" signals received. Worked well until my wife and daughter use shorter or longer cycles for certain types of laundry.

So now I just use a delayed event. When the washer stops it triggers a delayed event (timed to your longest off-time) to announce that the washer is finished. When the washer starts up again it disables the "washer is finished" event. When the washer stops it kicks off the delayed event again. When the wash is finally done and doesn't start up again, the delayed event runs to conclusion and "The Wash Is Done"!

I think my washer's longest down time was 200 seconds. So even though the wash is done 200 seconds before it tells me at least I'm not chasing false alarms.
        Sure beat digging into my washer's wiring.

Comment

Schematic

Dick,

Here is the Schematic but I am not sure if what I am seeing is the timer control you are referencing. If I can find it I can make this work.

If I understand correctly it is number 8?

Any help would be greatful.

Thanks

Thom
          Attached Files
          Last edited by GreenAcres; July 8, 2006, 08:44 PM.

Comment

It looks to me like terminal 9 has a current all the time. If you look at the OFF spaces at the bottom, cam 8 still has a line, guessing that means there is still voltage. I would have a delayed event triggered by an increased voltage thru a CR Magnet that is timed to the longest wash cycle. That seems the simplest thing to do. You might wait more than 200 seconds, but probably not much more than 5 minutes.

Comment

Guys with HomeSeer this should be really easy. If X10 code has been off for at least 5 minutes then signal wash is done.

Comment

Rupp,

I am not using x10. This is why I needed to know what wire ir on during the entire cycle. So you are saying that 9 in the live one.

Thanks

Thom

Comment

Thats where I would start. I would just go crazy with a multimeter during different cycles.

Comment

HT,
                    You're not using X10? What are you using?

Comment

Zwave and x10 Wireless. For the Dryer I used a DS10 and a Elk relay.

IE... Buzzer sets oof the relay the sends a signal through the dsq0

Thom

Comment

Working...
                      X