Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CM11 Dead, Now Moving to TI103, but problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CM11 Dead, Now Moving to TI103, but problems...

Last week when we had some severe lightning storms here, my CM11 device stopped working. I assumed it had been fried. Then reading on the message board about how unreliable this device can be, I decided to replace it with a TI103 instead.

I've installed the update driver for this device and have tried to get homeseer to recognize it, but I am doing something wrong. When starting homeseer I get errors along the lines of:

Unable to communicate at 9600 baud, trying 19200
    Unable to communicate with unit
    Initializing TI103: error unable to communicate with unit.

I have it set to COM 1. Does anybody have any idea of what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

SMGarman

Sgarman,
    You may have received a bad unit. Contrary to what you read there are many more reports on this BB about troubles with the TI103 than the CM11A. Sure once in a while a CM11A dies but not at the rate that is being reported on these TI103's. Another problem I ran into attempting to use a TI103 was a ton of phantom X10 signals. Went back to my CM11A and that was that. Anyway. Did you try restarting HS after the install of the TI software? Did you try communicating with it using Hyper-Terminal?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

SMGarman,

It may be the Serial port is not working properly. You should try another serial port. or plug it into another computer's serial port and use Hyperterminal as rupp suggested.

StevenE

P.S. MY TI103 has been the best x10 device I have bought. It was much better than any cm11a I had.

That is until a storm took it out and the repeater.
      Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

Check the DIP switches inside the unit and make sure its set for address 0. It should be, but if not, HS won't work with it.

-Rich
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Sgarman, have a look at this thread about the relative signal strengths of the various X-10 interfaces:

http://ubb.homeseer.com/eve/ubb.x?a=...74&m=717103364

This doesn't address reliability but it shows that the TI-103 transmits a much stronger signal than any of the other interfaces (at least in my house it does).

Comment

Well, after numerous attempts I am unable to get this device to work. I assume it is bad from the factory and will return it. Checked dip switches and all were set properly. Just to be sure I moved them about and put them back in the right order. Repeatedly rebooted.

I have checked the serial port. I can successfully hotsynch a palm pilot through the same port when needed. Have deconfigured the hotsynch program and tried again with the TI103. No luck.

I knew that there would be some speed bumps in the road with this home automation. Everything was working fine for about 3 months once I got everything assembled, but I expected the main devices to last longer than a few months. I may replace the TI103 with the CM11A again. Does the CM11A warranty last one year?

SMGarman

Comment

Sgarman, I had a similar problem when I had previously installed a Palm serial attachment on the same port. I could not see anything affecting the comm port, but the palm software had affected the ports operation. I think I had to remove the assignment of the port in the palm software, and remove the s/w to fully disengage the attachment. Can you try another comm port?

Comment

JeffCharger--Thanks for the idea. My HomeSeer computer is rarely used for the Palm, so I'll try to uninstall the software and give it another try. SMGarman

Comment

Working...
                X