DeviceValuesAdd and events question/issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DeviceValuesAdd and events question/issue

I recently changed one of my devices to display open/closed instead of on/off, using the DeviceValuesAdd command. The problem is I now lost all the cool functionality in the events. I used to be able to trigger on 'has been on/off for at least/exactly' 'changed to any status' and other great options, now all I have is open/closed. Shouldn't I still have all the other options, just changed from on/off to open/closed?
    I had to switch back as I lost too much functionality.

When you have device value/status pair associations in place, you are replacing HomeSeer's built-in default status values with your own. At that point, go to the device value trigger screen instead of the status trigger option, and you will see your "open" and "closed" options. Now you can trigger on those custom status/values.
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

I understand it replaces the text, but since the values are the same why do I loose all the functionality? I.E. On/Open at least 5 minutes, 'Changed to On/open'

Comment

Because some of those options (e.g. on for a period of time) only apply to the built-in HomeSeer status values at this time.
        Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Scott,

As Rick points out, DeviceValuesAdd is designed as a complete replacement for normal HS operation on devices.

However there are other ways to accomplish this.

Particularly if you only have a few devices, you can set up two events per device that set the device string to what you want. One would be trigged by "set to ON" the other by "set to OFF", and the device string would be set with a direct script statement to "Open" or "Closed".

I use the DooMotion plugin, which handles all this for you.

Bill

Comment

Declare it as a Managed device in mcsMovement with the string & icon values to whatever you want. Do not change anything in homeseer and you will get the original functionality and the device display as you desire.

Comment

Working...
            X