Where do x-10 commands stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do x-10 commands stop

This is a long shot but maybe I'll get lucky.
    I am running homeseer with the x-10 set up. I am using this to operate my sprinkler system and that's about it for now.
    I have a remote from WG designs that gets me coverage out in my shop a few hundred feet away.

I tried plugging a lamp module in out there and it didn't work(that would be too easy). So, I am wondering where the X-10 type commands stop in the house wiring. Would this be at the main breaker? The shop is off of a seperate panel completely. I am wondering if someone has worked around this already.

I am basically trying to get a couple of things to turn on remotely while i am in the shop. Mainly a phase converter and a dust collector. I can put a couple of 240 volt inline switches that, if hooked into homeseer, can make it easier to operate these from opposite ends of the shop.

Best Regards,
    Kirch

X10 stoppers...
    1. ye old two-phase problem. X10 transmitter is plugged into one phase of AC power. X10 devies on the other phase can't receive well or at all. Solution: Purchase a phase bridge $50 or so, or as I and others have done, carefully install a particular inexpensive coupling capacitor inside your breaker box. BEWARE SAFETY.

2. At a distance from the transmitter, X10 signal gets attenuated by "singal suckers" - devices which "eat" the X10 signal. Common ones: Some Surge protectors, some power strips with surge protectors, some PCs and high end electronics. Cure: get rid of 'em. Or plug X10 receivers in distant from signal suckers.

3. Interference - motors, flourescents, etc. Not too much you can do.

I live in a townhome. Breaker panel is actually a subpanel of a main panel a long distance away. That couplng cap was necessary. Months ago I posted here a photo of how I put in the capacitor. You can search for those keywords and my username.

Ah, the joys of X10

Comment

Hmmm, maybe I can do it. I'll look at the coupling thing you mentioned.

But at this point, I am only trying to get a two phase signal, common house current, out through my house panel to see that i get an operable signal-

Basically, things are set up at my house that the power from the city comes into a 200 amp Shutoff. From that box, one line(circuit) is run into the 100 amp house panel and one line is run into the 100 amp shop panel. Would this be the bridge /application that you referred too?

THe computer is in the house and the dust collector is in the shop. So I have three panels to work through. Does this matter? Maybe all in all , the shop is 300 lineal feet of wire from the house panel, through the 200 amp shutoff, to the shop panel.

I'll search the topic later regardless.
      Best,
      kirch

Comment

Kirch, if your X-10 signal is strong enough, and you don't have too many of the signal suckers mentioned previously, you should be able to send X-10 signals from your house to your shop since they are on the same utility company transformer. I have a similar situation but my house and shop are on separate meters off the same transformer and I can fairly reliably send X-10 signals between my house and shop. Since your house and shop are on the same meter (even better than my situation) you should be able to get it to work.

Comment

I don't really have any of the "signal Suckers" that were mentioned. The pc is plugged into a surge protector but the x-10 cm-11a... is plugged into a different outlet with no surge protector. I really don't have any high tech stuff going on except for my tesla coil. I wonder if the aluminum foil on the windows makes a difference? No? Yes?
          If what you say is true, this should work. I'll try again and make sure that I am operating this module correctly.

Thx.
          Kirch

Comment

are you sure you don't have the simple problem that you have no signal coupler/bridge between the two phases of your home, and the X10 transmitter and receiver may be on different phases?

Comment

Ahhh! Bing..the light bulb goes off (above my head and not the lamp)- yeah I get the concept of the phase coupler now. Does this mean that only the only the things plugged into the same phase as the cm11a controller will operate ? If so, it makes alot of sense.

Comment

So, Stevech, is this the phase coupler that you were talking about in your first reply?

Kirch

Comment

OK Stevech!!! Is the 0.1uf 600v capacitor a radio shack sort of thing?

I followed the thread and it looks like this can work on three phase systems as well. I'll be psyched if that is the case and I can get this remote control working out in the shop.

Thx.
                  kirch

Comment

yeah, that capacitor is probably at Radio Shack.

BEWARE insurance company who might use such a capacitor installation as the skapegoat for a fire (ah ha, no-pay). A bit paranoid, I know. But alas, I think the product phase couplers for sale for X10, placed inside a breaker box, are also probably non-conforming to the local codes in many places.

Comment

Kirch,
                      The capacitor trick more times than not doesn't work because there are really 2 problems at work here. A phase problem and a signal strength problem. The phase problem can be fixed by the CAP but the signal strength problem needs a repeater that re-amplifies the signals at the breaker box. If you want to fix the problem correctly you need a phase coupler. Here's a link to an very good, affordable coupler/repeater.

http://www.worthdist.com/leviton/hca02-10e.htm
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Stevech, check this out, I have no idea what an inductor does but at least an inline fuse is sized.

http://ido.trix.com/an_efficient_pha...se_blocker.htm

kirch

Comment

this is a more elaborate phase coupler. The inductor and capacitor together form a "tuned circuit" - to couple mostly only the X10 data (carrier frequency). It tends to not couple other frequency signals.

It's no doubt the same as the commercial couplers. You get the better/safer packaging with the commercial coupler. My little $0.50 capacitor coupler has worked for me in two ordinary houses (2000 sq ft or so).

You can avoid putting this in tbe breaker box by instead putting it inside a two phase AC plug - if you have an unused clothes dryer outlet.

Comment

SmartHome has a great coupler and repeater that plugs into your clothes dryer outlet or your kitchen stove outlet that has a outlet built into it. The clothes dryer or kitchen stove then plugs into the coupler/repeater.

Coupler/Repeater

Comment

Working...
                            X