Motorized "blast gate"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    davidL, I hear you loud and clear. you were probably looking at the 4" gate" I'm needing 6"-7" gates. If you were meaning the 4", then I'm sure they'd charge a bit more.

You never know... I might get lucky and get it right the first time!!!

We'll see, I'll be pondering ...
    kirch

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    kirch, i did a quick check and the ecogate plastic was $90 per gate. I think you would be hard pressed to make something much cheaper that would work (not even just as well...). Not to mention the labor and time involved with fabricating something. But, if it's a labor of love of gadgets, press on!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    ZOOMKAT! HAHAHA! That's it!!! Genius!

Kirch

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    zoomkat,
    your test set up is probably what my finished product would look like.
    Do you have any ideas re: cheap dc motors?

kirch

Leave a comment:

• zoomkat
    replied
    The cheapest single direction pneumatic gizmo would probably be a plastic bicycle tire pump from walmart. A motor to turn a lead screw (or operate a pully) would be the 6v cordless B&D screwdriver at walmart for ~$8.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    As usual, you guys make alot of sense. If there is something readily available and works as good as the ecogates and is competitively priced, I would consider it.

The posts re: the dampers and their inability to operate under a "load" is something to consider.

As far as explosion proof is concerned, I would think that any device hookjed up would be done so outside of the duct so that repairs could be made. The explosion proof enviornment would be the direct by-product of this.

I am to the point now of giving up on an electric motor . leadscrew type set up. Maybe a low voltage solenoid? I am looking into some low cost pneumatic cylinders to see what is available. If there is such a thing, I can probably use the same set-up as I did with my sprinklers. Same concept, same parts x-10 wise and relatively low cost. It is just the cost of the ram that is holding me up at htis moment.

I'd like to find something like a 3/4" id pvc tube capped on both ends and air going into each of these sealed ends. THe "ram" would have a couple of orings t create the seal. x-10 command opens one side and closes the other and the valve moves, x-10 command #2 does the oposite and the ram (gate) moves the other way. lo PSI, might work.

Any ideas about lo cost pneumatic rams??? and Thanks for the input .

kirch

Leave a comment:

• gcyeaw
    replied
    Kirch,
    I am assuming you probably are aware of this, but others reading this forum may not be.

The main reason dust collectors are expensive is because they must use explosion proof motors and vacuume assemblies. Suspended dust can produce a powerful explosion if subjected to sparks like standard motors can create. This also applies to using PVC pipe in the system without proper precautions to drain static charges that result from the dust passing through. Be certain that the components you are selecting are suitable for the intended environment.

Leave a comment:

• DC
    replied
    DavidL, I'm virtually certain that a motorized HVAC damper like they one Smarthome sells would not withstand the static pressure of a shop dust collection system, even a relatively small one. You would probably spend $60 on one just to see it crumple the first time you turn on the system with the damper closed. If you could rig it up so that it's impossible for the system to come on until at least one damper is open, you MIGHT be able to use these. But, I would rather spend the additional $30 and get a more substantial device designed for this purpose.

If you do buy the Ecogate blast gates, I would recommend NOT getting the 4" plastic one. I had four of those and exchanged them for metal ones. The plastic are supposedly "improved" but I found it very difficult to attach metal ducts securely to the blast gate. They flanges are too thick to fit very far inside the metal duct so I could only get about 1/4" to run sheet metal screws into. I just wasn't happy with that so Ecogate exchanged them for four of the "older" metal models. I believe he said they are in the process or redesigning the metal ones to have the same improvements (in the motor, I think) that the plastic ones have.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I like that ecogate stuff.
    But, here is what I was thinking:
    http://www.smarthome.com/307106.html
    I assume you would not turn the valve unless the vaccuum was turned off. This could be done with scripting. I suspect you could reuse the motor, and configure your own PVC tube w/ PVC flapper valve.
    But, still like the ecogate better, even at $90 / valve. Might have to get one myself!

Leave a comment:

• zoomkat
    replied
    At the bottom of the below link I've got some simple DC motor reversing setups that might be of use.

http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/switch.htm

Leave a comment:

• DC
    replied
    Kirch, I believe the power of even a small dust collection system would quickly destroy a normal HVAC damper. You can't even use normal HVAC ductwork because the suction power of a dust collection system would collapse the flimsy metal.

I have a fully automated dust collection system and I used the Ecogate system (www.ecogate.com). Is this the one you said is prohibitively expensive? You could use the gates without the Greenbox controller if you don't mind building your own power supply and relay system. You could just put a toggle switch close to each machine and wire it to a relay that activates the gate for that machine.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    That seems like a possibility. I did a search and really had little luck locating any x-10 type register motor or dc motor or the like. Any ideas of sources?

thx.
    kirch

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    how about using motorized heat duct zone control valves? They are larger in diameter than what you probably need, but you might be able to use the damper motor and form your own "valve" out of PVC or similar.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Motorized "blast gate"

Motorized "blast gate"

I am in the process of setting up a dust collection system and would like to explore the possibility of adding some motorized blast gates. I have seen the commercially available sets but that is not realistic dollar wise for me. Any ideas as to a simple dc motor that has a limit switch of sorts. Maybe like something used for heating registers or windows etc. I would think that I can make a simple link to the gate that would be opened and closed depending on my situation.

thx.
    kirch
Working...
X