can it be done????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can it be done????

using homeseer, homeseer phone, a room microphone and a celing speaker. Is it possible to ask homeseer to dial a number via the mic and have the call come though the speaker and talk to them via the room mic ????

any ideas if this could be done using extra equipment?
    detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

I don't think there is a way to do this. With the PCI modem, you might be able to use the mic input on the modem. But I don't think this is what you want to do as it would require wiring in 2 mics.

The problem is that there is no routing of the audio between the mic in windows and the modem. They are seperate processes.

-Rich
    website | buy now | support | youtube

Comment

After careful consideration, I would think there should be a way using a couple of HS controllable output switches in line with speaker output and mic inputs so you can parallel path both the centralized mic and speaker so they go to both the modem and the sound card. You could select which one(s) as part of the voice command.

PCI MODEM MIC IN<--<sw1>--/
                                                   |-------<--MIC
      SOUND CARD MIC IN<-<sw2>--/

PCI MODEM SND OUT>-<sw3>--/
                                                    |------->--[SPEAKER]
      SOUND CARD SPKR>---<sw4>--/

You can have both inputs selected, none, or select which one. Of course, if you turn off the sound card mic input, you would lose the ability to use HS via voice over the central mic.

There really should be a mixer package that does this in software though. A sound card with multiple inputs could handle this with a script to fire it off, maybe.

Just tossing out ideas.

huggy_d1
      huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Am I missing something? I bought a Gateway computer that came with some software called MegaPhone. It allowed calls to be answered via the computer. The phone "rang" through the speakers and I could click on the answer button and speak through the microphone. This did not use the modem mike input (well not directly).

I do not believe that there was anything special with the modem. The modem was TelePah for Windows with X2 (or something to that effect). I upgraded the PC to Windows XP and a Hawking modem (to use with HomeSeer) and never tried reinstalling the MegaPhone software.

I have since moved HomeSeer off this machine and putting the MegaPhone software (or WINXP version) back on because it was nice to be able to answer the phone via computer. I had always hoped that this could be incorporated into HSPhone.
        Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
        My Hardware & Software

Comment

It is possible with a conferencing system such as the Gentner AP800 and an AP10 phone interface, or possibly the AP400. There are other systems like this out there. But I picked up an AP800 on ebay to mix my mics. In theory if I had an AP10 I could "mix" in my phone line, and route the other side of the phone conversation to an audio or speaker system. This is my goal, but I am not beyond the early stages of putting it together. My hope was to write a plugin or script to control one or more of these boxes to be able to do this. There is a thread in the hardware forum that talks about the AP800 a little.

Bill

Comment

Jim,

Keep in mind that the modem driver in HSP was written by us. We communicate with it directly using the AT command set, and do all the audio conversion, in and out. (for those wondering why, it allows us to use the modem in 16 bit mode for better audio, and it gives us control of special features in the modem). For this reason, it can't be done. The driver could be modified to route the audio from the windows audio system, such as the mic or speakers, but it would be a bit of work.

It could be done easier using the Hi-Phone, since the driver for that uses the Windows audio devices. Still some driver work would be needed.

-Rich
            website | buy now | support | youtube

Comment

I agree will Bill D, using external equip it can be done.
              1) Have the HS phone dial the number.
              2) HS switches in the AP800 & AP10 (or other external Hdw) - which "picks up the phone" and keeps the line off hook.
              3) HS phone hangs up the line (but external hdw is keeping it off hook)
              4) Talk thru mike and listen on home speakers for speaker phone effect.
              5) HS monitors mike for VR command to switch off the external interface that hangs up the line.

Sounds like it should work - I don't have the equipment to test it out but I've look at using AP800 & AP10 to do this exact thing and thats my plan for now.
              Bruce

"The universal answer is 42."

Comment

Just to clarify, I am talking about something external to HS and HSP. It would be just like any other phone, but it could be connected on the "internal" side of a HSP modem or Hi-Phone. The control of the conferencing hardware would have to be through some external software, or as I hope to be able to do it, through HS scripts or even a plugin. What is so cool about the Gentner products is their RS232 control interface. But whether I can manage that from a plugin remains to be seen.

Bill

Comment

thanks all

it just so happens i have a couple of the ap800's here , I guess i will have to do it all via autopatch switching and relays.
                  detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

Working...
                  X