The Elderly Gentleman's Club or Old Farts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Elderly Gentleman's Club or Old Farts

It's a club of people that have been using home automation for too long, and can very occasionally get things wrong.

Preferably, at this point, your memory of automation dates back to before HomeSeer was even thought about, but, some crazy experiences with HomeSeer would be welcome.

If your Memory does not go that far back, you are welcome to post you experience.

Such as,

"I ordered a noise filter for the microwave. It arrived while I was away and my partner decided to install it for me. She certainly cured all my noise problems. She unplugged the CM, plugged in the filter, then plugged the CM into the filter. I have to give her credit I no longer had any noise problem."

All it will achieve you is a badge on your Avatar that says you have been around too long as far as Home Automation is concerned.

It's a thread, could become a forum, to let others share your experiences, funny or otherwise, recklessness and memories of automation.

It is to be light hearted, not serious, as after all they are but memories, but memories to share.
    Last edited by Gogs; April 6, 2010, 07:37 PM. Reason: Things have changed since the original post.
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Great Idea!

I like it! I have been using X10 stuff since I bought a GE Homeminder in 1986. Just about exactly 20 years now. I started with Homeseer at V1.1x I think. SIGN ME UP!

Rob
    I was a senior in High School in 1980.....

Comment

I guess you can add me to that list. My home automation started when I was 7 years old or so. I used a string with a bunch of pulleys to turn off the light switch on the other side of the room at night. That way the monster under the bed couldn't get me during that long treacherous walk to the bed in a dark room! I could only imagine back then what would be possible with todays technology!
      HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

Gentleman, Homeseer is a professional company.

I am amazed at the response.

Rupp, Jon00, your comments would be welcome.

Thank you Gentlemen.
        sigpic
        A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

I'm too old to remember when I started using HomeSeer
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by thymer
            I guess you can add me to that list. My home automation started when I was 7 years old or so. I used a string with a bunch of pulleys to turn off the light switch on the other side of the room at night. That way the monster under the bed couldn't get me during that long treacherous walk to the bed in a dark room! I could only imagine back then what would be possible with todays technology!
            I'm just an old fart

That's amazing thymer. I did exactly the same thing when I was young...It was a little more difficult here in the UK as our switches are down for on and up for off.
            Jon

Comment

Well, well, well.

Gentlemen thank you for the reply.

Passed over to Tink, lets see what happens.
              sigpic

Comment

HS user for years. Birthdate 3/20/45.

Comment

Heck I remember when Home Automation consisted of throwing a rock into my firepit to start up my cave's fire! Let's see: started with automation in 1986; x10 in 1992; HS in 1999 and so on. I think I even remember Rupp's first post - yes I do; it was "What version of HS are you running?" Born in 1959. (God, I'm getting old!)

Comment

Do you have to be male to qualify?

Comment

I remember automating HO trains in the 80's. Used X-10, CM-11 and RS color computer 3 to announce trains coming into the station. Graduated from the CM-11 almost 20 years ago.

Comment

I started automating while in high school (early seventies) by building panels with rocker switches and extension cord to lights, fan, tv, etc. by my bedside. I created version 2 while in college (1976) with dimmers, relays for HD loads like AC/Heater and L-pads for stereo volume. It was actually pretty impressive at the time. I began using HS in 1999 or thereabout. But, I am still stuck on 1.7 because it works!

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by mwhistle
                          Do you have to be male to qualify?
                          Gogs, how about for Guys and Gals calling it "The Old Farts club"

I caught the fever in 78 I was in 10th grade. Did not find X10 till mid 80s. I still have My HS 1.4 cd but I dont remeber what version I started with.

Darrell

Comment

Born in 1936. HA since 1950, HS since 1999

I started HA in 1953 when I designed and installed a dial telephone, florescent lights, automated headlights, and a rain detector all in my convertible car. When it rained and the car was not running and stopped, the top would automatically be raised. When the phone at home rang, it also rang in the car. If I wanted to make a call, I just picked up the phone and dialed. No operators needed. Considering it was back in the mid to late 1950's, it was a little unique. I was 16-18 years old at the time.

Then moved on to adding HA to my folks home, and later, to my own.

My latest home was designed with HA in mind and has over 5 miles of HA cable and wire.

Count me in as well.

Comment

Originally posted by darrellehill
                              Gogs, how about for Guys and Gals calling it "The Old Farts club"

I caught the fever in 78 I was in 10th grade. Did not find X10 till mid 80s. I still have My HS 1.4 cd but I dont remeber what version I started with.

Darrell
                              Erm, me being a typical male forgot about the Ladies, sorry
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X