URL forwarding program for LAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

URL forwarding program for LAN

I've registered a few domain names and they offer URL forwarding. I wonder if I can do the same thing for internal LAN. I currently have a lot of web based tools that I need to remember what port # they're on. It would be nice to type in:

"ups" as URL to go to the APC login page, rather than "http://ups:3052".

I just don't know if there's anything out there that's easy to implement.

Thanks,

Simon

Simon,
    How bout a desktop shortcut?
    ......JG
    HS2PRO - Ocelot, SecuIR, Secu16, Attendence Management Alarm Interface, X-10, LCD Studio VFD Display, 3 Apexis IP Cams, Custom Software Interfaces, GMQ Geiger Graphing
    HS3PRO - Testing

Comment

Hi Jebus,

I already have bookmarked them but I thought it would be cool to figure it out how to use URL forwarding.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Simon

Comment

One powerful and greatly undocumented and widely unknown file is the wi9ndows "host file".

With this you can easily forward shortcuts to where you want them to go, as long as the destination has an IP address.

The host file can be located in windows in the following locations:
        Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Windows XP Home c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

The file does not have an extension and can be edited and saved with notepad.

TIP: One of the first things I do when I set up a new system is add notepad to the windows "send to" folder using windows explorer. Then all you have to do is right click on a file and choose send to-notepad.

For instance if you put the following line in the host file:
        64.246.26.133 hs
        (That is a TAB between the IP and the alias)

Now, save the host file and whenever you type "hs" in internet explorer and press enter it will go dirrectly to that IP address, which is HomeSeers web site.

Though I have not figgured out how to go to a specific port or page within a given IP with this method, it works great for many things.

Another great example is:
        216.239.51.104 g

Now to go to Googles search page, all I have to do is press g and enter in internet explorer. MUCH faster for me than going to favorites and selecting the link.

I hope this helps you out a bit, and maby some others reading this can now set up some very easy and quick links to favorite destinations!
        Visit My Home Seer Site at:
        www.JohnWPB.com
        Created with LCARS

Comment

Working...
        X