Homeseer startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeseer startup

Is it possable to have Homeseer startup before I log into windows XP? Currently, after a reboot I need to login before Homeseer starts up, which means that after a power failure I need to be physicaly there to bring the system back up.

I can't remember specifically how, but there is a way to designate an account that will log in automatically whenever Windows is booted. That is what I do and it works perfectly. Whenever the machine is rebooted, that account is logged in and HS starts automatically. Sorry I can't tell you how to do that but maybe thinking along that line will help you.

Comment

Here is a detailed how-to:

http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=370

I am sure others will mention there are other options, but this one will also work if your system is on a domain.
      HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
      (aka xplosiv)
      Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Gardner,
        Some have accomplished this by running HS as a service. There are quit a few threads about the successes and failures of this approach. Personally I just have my PC automatically login thus eliminating this problem.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Here is a knowledge base article that describes how to auto log in to XP:

Auto Log in to XP

-Rich

Comment

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I used to have it log in automatically, but a while back I picked up a virus (Trojan horse variety) that crippled my operating system. Since then I have been taking security more seriously. I use a cable modem and am online all the time so I need to keep up my defenses.

Comment

Gardner,
              If you a get a router this should take care of most if not all of the virus threats. Combine this with a good virus detection software like Trend Micro and you should have no problems.

Comment

Having your system auto log in does not increase the security threat unless you are concerned about physical access to your HomeSeer server. Whether or not a user is logged in at the console does not make it any less secure. I use girder to auto-lock the console on startup, after the auto logon. But normally I don't lock my console anyway.

If you have a decent firewall, then the direct attacks won't happen. Most trojans are introduced by browsing to web pages or opening email attachments. Other than some of the recent Microsoft vulnerabilities that brought us worms like Blaster and Witty (which can attack an unpatched machine when no-one is logged into it) most viruses and worms are spread by running programs or scripts.

Bill

Comment

I do have a router along with virus, firewall and adware removal software. Without going into detail, I have teenagers with friends and I have no doubt that my last attack was a result of questionable surfing. Now each has their own logon, which seems to add a certain sense of accountability.

Comment

Ah HA! Now we get the picture. It might be worth your time getting a cheap pc for their use so as to isolate your HA PC. I just picked up a another Dell Inspiron 7500 with 2 batteries for $200 . It's my second one and they are perfect for surfing for the kids. They are 450 - 500 mhz and with the dual bay will give at least 6 hours surfing time. I have 2 of these and a new Compaq and I end up using the dell more often than the new compaq because of the long surfing time.

Comment

Rupp,
                      Actually, I have 4 PC's now. Two for my wifes business, one for the kids and one for me. The boys often are both on for one reason or another and when I am not at the computer they may as well make use of it for instant messaging, homework, etc. As far as my wifes busines, one PC is for working and keeping financial records, and the second is for surfing and e-mail. Since her business has a couple of websites, she gets hundreds of spam E-mails a day, so keeping that on a different machine is another layer of protection for the real business machine.

Comment

Working...
                      X