Action confirmation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Action confirmation

Can HS automatically monitor the execution of actions such as turning On a Compose dimmer and in case of absence of confirmation from device, resend command.

In other words, is there an option so that an command to a device be followed by a Status Request and if command was successfully executed by device, do nothing (maybe enter success in log) and in case positive response is received from polling automatically retry command (up to a predetermined number of times)

Is this an existing feature?

I was wondering about such a feature as well, I built a little device to remote start my car by engaging a solenoid, and it can only be turned on for a few seconds or thing will go wrong for sure. Right now I use an appliance module, and just send a few OFF's every few seconds, but I wanted to get a 2-way appliance module and have Homeseer keep retrying until it knows for sure it is turned OFF.
    HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
    (aka xplosiv)
    Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Dan,
      Which solenoid did you buy? I simply send an on followed by an off wait a second and send another on followed by an off. This has worked perfectly since the day I installed it. Are some of the commands not getting through?
      -Rupp
      sigpic

Comment

I bought the same solenoid you did (bought 2 actually), and so far, it has worked perfectly, but I am just worried about the day where the solenoid isn't turned off, even after the 4 or 5 random OFF commands, and that the thing will burn out or cause any other damages lol. I am just paranoid when it comes to X10 I guess.
        HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
        (aka xplosiv)

Comment

I hadn't even thought of that. Duh! My X10 is so reliable that I forget how flaky it can really be. Maybe I should be sending a few extra offs.
          -Rupp
          sigpic

Comment

lol, my x10 is pretty reliable too, I am worried about the day when it isn't and burns either my house or WAF down
            (aka xplosiv)

Comment

Gabriel,

There is no built-in function to do what you want. With the nature of X-10 being what it is, there is NO way that the X-10 interface connected to the HomeSeer PC knows whether the signal was received by the device. If you do happen to have devices that support status request (most don't) then you can set up an event that sends out a status request on the house codes that you care about shortly after the turn on event and then re-examine the devices to see which ones are on/off. It is often much easier to just send the command several times because thanks again to X-10, you don't know for certain that the status request OR the status response made it to/from the X-10 interface.

Thus, HomeSeer has no way to fix the inherent limitations of the protocol. Most of these issues are addressed with Z-Wave devices and I am told with UPB as well.
              Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Thanks Rick.

I understand your response, however, it would be nice to have a built-in confirmation feature that automatically follows any command with a status request and then repeats the command up to x times if no positive acknowledge received.

FYI, the program HCA (Home Control Assistant) that we were using until we switched to HS has that function as an option for the Compose devices. It's a nice feature.

Rgds.

Comment

Working...
                X