Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just downloaded it on Win2K and it runs fine.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I'm running HS 1.7.7 and the HAWizard plug-in runs fine.

Ken Sargent has not responded to three e-mail messages regarding an my need for an unlock code. When I lost my system board I was unable to secure a new unlock code from the "license manager." So, while the plug in works fine, now I'm 6 days from a locked--and useless--module.

Rich, you have to give some thought to what it means to HST when an "independent" developer provides a valuable add-on and then fails to support it. In this case, it's not the $15 that makes a difference it's that Ken's diappearance has cast HST in a bad light.
      <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rich Helmke (HomeSeer Tech):
      We DID NOT remove support for the HAWizard download DLL. Support is still in there, and it should work fine.-Rich <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Wow, Rupp... thanks!

ActiveHome may solve my short term problem but I really want the HAWizard plug-in to run and it looks as if Ken Sargent has made that an unlikely happening. Booo, Ken!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rupp:
        I just downloaded it on Win2K and it runs fine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

kyham,

We post beta's constantly, and that is the best we can do right now. There is no master list of script writers. There are so many people writing scripts and contributing, that its impossible to keep track. I suppose some type of "certification" might be in order so that when you install a script you know if the author is certified and has kept up with any changes. I know many people use the "Alex Kurtz" voice scripts, but Alex has not made any changes to those in years. So who is responsible for making sure they continue to work? Many of these scripts are really put in the public domain after they are posted to the script library. The author probably doesn't have the time to see if they work with every new release.

I will give this some thought for HS 2 to see if there is a better way to insure compatibility. Not sure if there will ever be an ideal solution to this problem. Using the HS updater might be something we can use. Maybe everything in the updater is guaranteed to work, so authors who are dedicated to keeping things up to date would use the updater. Anything else would used at your own risk.

-Rich

Comment

Chicago2101,

Not sure what we can do. Its the same issue if you buy a computer, like an Audrey, and the manufacturer discontinues it. I've been stuck many times with equipment that is now useless because the manufacturer disapeared (Cybergenie, Arialphone, etc.). The add-on worked and the developer sold it. We told people about it, but I don't see how we are responsible for it once it disappears. I also don't see anyway to avoid this in the future. The best I can do in this case is try to get a hold of Ken and see if there is some way we can get the licensing fixed so current users can continue to use the software, and maybe future users can still purchase. I assume the purchase part is still working?

-Rich

Comment

I have reached Ken 5 times in the past 7 months. You should send several messages due to his overanziouse spam filter, which is why, he says, that people have problems reachinfg him.

He was very confused however at how the Tools/Download could be missing, etc. He did not want to say to me, an unknown...unaffiliated with Homeseer person...that it was obviouse that Homeseer broke it but I;'m sure it was on the tip of his tongue. It was pretty obviouse.

I ask....if he had been notified that Homeseer was no longer going to support the Download option, what good would that do (Or what could he do about it) since Homeseer no longer supports the download option!!?? Hasn't Homeseer just said in effect "Death to thee, Download option!"? (Aww gimme a break....I'm trying to add some humor after being such a grouch earlier!).

PS: Ken gave me a couple of Registry entries to try creating if they were not there (which they were not). Anyone want them?

One more thing. Guess what happens when I installed the original Homeseer disk I got (1.5.2) and then installed HAWizard? Yup - worked like a charm.

Comment

If the following registry key exists, the download option wil be available, even if the DLL is not installed:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HA Wizard Software\Components\CM11A\EEPProm\Supported

-Rich

Comment

Yes I agree that there is no easy answer but the problem, right or wrong, falls back as a HS problem since the end users (us) are basically dead in the water when we upgrade or are forced to use a beta because of another plug-in requires it.

You are dead if you do upgrade and the same if you don't. You can't use most of the plug-ins without running a beta of HS so it is very hard to find something that would be really nice to have but no other options.

Since they are written by others, you don't have the control. Even if you require the source, JUST IN CASE, that puts you in the position of trying to support someone else's code that you are not familiar with.

BIG CATCH22. No easy answers.

Comment

Ken's Web site is "broken." Several links don't work and the graphics won't load. There's an "ad" for a developer that can maintain a Web site.

If I thought buying a new license would work, I'd do that but the combination of no response to e-mails and the condition of the Web site don't bode well for that approach.

If he's not going to support the product he once sold, the moral thing for him to do would be to put it into the public domain.

What you mention about non-supported harware and this issue are a little different. You have customers that use your software because, in part, you actively promoted a developer who extended the use of your software.

Leagally, of course, you have no liability but in respect of your customers you do have some--albeit small--responsiblity to do what you can to help them out of this bind. I know you see that...

Thanks for your response.

= Ron

Comment

I'm running HS 1.7.7 from a fresh install and the HAWizard plug in works perfectly. My only problem is reactiviating my license after having unexpectedly replaced the system board.

Comment

I don't understand. If it used to work fine and Homeseer broke it by making software changes (eliminating the Download option or was that loaded by HAWizard?). Even if it WAS loaded by HAWizard, HOMESEER DID SOMETHING THAT CAUSED HAWIZARD TO NO LONGER WORK! Is this that co,plicasted? Can't someone go back over the code and fix the darn thing? As far as I am concerned this is a BUG in HOMESEER's SOFTWARE!!! Plain and Simple!

And you guys really are getting pretty nasty yourselfs if you are going to use his limited Web developement skills against him to define him as a person and his Software Developement skills. I challange any of you to produce a plugin and a Website better than his own and still hold down a full time job - plugins don't really pay the bills you know.

Another question - has anyone looked through the source code included in the HAWizard package to see if it is usble to solve this.

MOST important: the plugin that downloads to the CM11A was just one of about 8 included in the package. It is not even the main thrust of the product, just an added treat. Of the many other applications, samples and such included, some are the foundation of some popular hardware and plugins MANY of you qare using today! that we are all using today...so maybe we ought to give this guy a little credit. He was one of the pioneers of this technology.

Comment

Gosh... listen up, already!

AFAIK, HAWizard works fine, even with HS 1.7.7.

This install of 1.7.7 is a fresh install on a new system. Worked fine OOB.

Comment

Well, after all this discussion I realized that I paid for the plug-in long ago. I had upgraded to WinXP and had to contact Ken and get a new unlock code. I have since moved to a dedicated HomeSeer Server and never re(-re)-installed the plug-in.

So, I just now tried it and no luck! Serial number is different than the second one I got from Ken. Don't know if I will try the multi-email approach or not. I wasn't using it but part of this discussion suggested its use as a Watchdog.

I am wondering if I can have HomeSeer/HAWizard download a future event that toggles a Universal module connected to PC's restart button. HomeSeer would reset the event periodically before it executes. If the PC were to lock up, the CM11A would execute the event and the PC would be restarted.
                            Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                            My Hardware & Software

Comment

jamroc,
                              Have you tried to reload the plugin?

Chicago2101 Thanks for putting this issue to bed.

Comment

What OS are you using? You are obviously one of the very few if not ONLY one that it works for.

You are saying that in each event, whether existing or creating a new one, the very forst window (where you name the event, etc.) contains a check box to select "Download event to CM11A" (or something like that....and that in the main Tools Drop down menu there is an option ro Download?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chicago2101:
                                Gosh... listen up, already!

AFAIK, HAWizard works fine, even with HS 1.7.7.

This install of 1.7.7 is a fresh install on a new system. Worked fine OOB. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Working...
                                X