Anyone have a solution for me on this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have a solution for me on this.

My back door from the kitchen will open by itself if it is not pushed closed and the door latch clicks. this in of it self is not a problem but if you open another door in say the front door it will cause a vacume in the house causing the door to pop open. Again this is not the main problem except when you leave the house and are unaware that the back door poped open. only to find it open all day when we get home from work.

Now I usualy latch the dead bolt on that door and this prevents the problem but the kids dont. However for some reason the Wife always blames it on me. I am just as upset about it been left open as the next one but find myself defending myself as to who left the door open in the first place.

I have thought of putting a camera to catch the culpret but this could be the wife herself which would not do much for the WAF. I was wondering if there was a way to have HS detect the actions of the door and alert us if it is not closed or pops open.

Andrew...

Tou are right, proving that your wife did it is not going to make things better I personally would install a magnetic reedswitch and hook it up to Homeseer (or Ocelot with a SECU16 if you have one) using i.e. the game port, and this way HS will know what the status is of the door. What about adding some sort of spring so the door automatically closes?
    HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
    (aka xplosiv)
    Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

If you have a W800 for wireless motion sensors you could use a DS10A door/window sensor to detect when the door is open (this is what I have). You could also use a reed switch and a powerflash, but you'd need an outlet nearby, or an easy way to wire the switch to near an outlet. Or a reed switch and a modified X10 motion sensor and a plug-in receiver. Or a hard wired reed switch back to a digital I/O interface of some kind that Homeseer can monitor.

Bill

Comment

I have a read switch going to the security system that was pre wired when the house was built. My HA stuff is right next to the security system.

Comment

This is really a physical and behavioral problem. Adjust the latch plate in the door frame so it closes securely when lightly pushed close. Most latch plates have some adjustment capability. Doors and frames swell and shrink with the seasons, so you may have to adjust it a couple times a year.

Tell the kids on pain of death that they need to check that the door is properly closed and latched by testing it - pull or push it when they close it to make sure it won't pop open.

If you don't want to change habits and apply technology instead, you can use any door switch to trip an alarm, HS, whatever. If you place a small limit switch with a lever behind the latch plate where it would be hit by the door latch itself when properly closed, you'll know whether the latch is in the right place or not every time.

If you have an alarm system, many will not allow you to arm it until all zones are closed, and they have an indicator to show a zone is tripped. When leaving the house, open and then close the front door like you would if you left, and see if the alarm system shows a zone is tripped. Of course, if you're like me, last one out walks around to check all doors and windows are locked before heading out - just because it is closed doesn't mean it is locked securely.

If you do hook it to HS, you could send an email to your cell phone or work address when it pops open, maybe limit the time period to the hours when you think this is happening.

I'd do the camera anyway just to find out who was doing it, and say nothing. ;-)
          |
          | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
          HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

... or use self closing hinges. I have these on my pantry door, door to our laundry room, and all closets. Some larger doors need 2 and heavy exterior doors need 3. Stanley is excellent. I have had 2 break and Stanley sent me replacements no questions asked.

http://www.stanleyhardware.com/defau...+SPRING+HINGES
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp

Thats it.. You Da Man...

I will get them tomorrow.

AB

Comment

Working...
              X