Signal Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signal Problems

I am a newbie to Homeseer/X10. I am having a problem where when I select to turn on A10, it will occasionally also turn on A9 and sometimes A5. When this happens, A10 may turn on, or it may not. I have tried several remotes, as well as performing the task from the server, and I get the same results. The log reads A10 on, so I know I am sending the correct commands. Often, if I wait a few hours, the results will be different (or as expected).

I am using a Homelink USB and an antenna (COM1)(no other receivers are being used). I am using a Phase Coupler/Repeater and the problems started about 3 days after the install. A10 seems to be the only one I am having a problem with. The module I am using for A10 is a LampLink 2-way module.

I would appreciate any ideas, or requests for additional information.

Thanks,

Tom

TWFarrington,
    This sounds EXACTLY like you have noise on the power line. This noise can be caused by various things but the biggest culprits are your PC, a UPS, large appliances and TV's. @-Way switches are also a culprit. This is one of the hardest X10 problems to trouble shoot but one of the best methods unless you have an X10 signal meter is to turn off circuit breakers until the noise stops of subsides and then see what is on that leg of the circuit.

That Homelink USB could be interjecting noise on the power line as well. Have you tried disconnecting this to see if it clears up?
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Rupp,

Thanks for the response. Now that you mention that, I beleive the times when I had the problem may have been when the TV was on, and I do recall reading something about Sony TV's being problematic. Since that light is likely on the same circuit as the TV, you may be on to something. I will unplugging the TV, and other AV equip and see what the results are.

Thanks for the direction.

Comment

Two devices I had to put on filters were my big Sony TV and one of my UPS's.

Bill

Comment

Rupp,

Which model tester do you suggest and where do you get it, I have 6,000 square feet and alot of x-10 issues only on G, I have about 80 X-10 modules

Thom

Comment

The affordiable one is:
            http://www.hometech.com/tools/signal.html#EL-ESM1

The best one is:
            http://www.hometech.com/tools/signal.html#MI-PLSA
            -Rupp
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks Rupp, I wiil check them out

Thom

Comment

I used to have all kind of problems until I put filter to all my TV's, Computers, UPS's and power surge protectors. I like AF120. They worked great for me fore more then year.
                Some Info is here:
                http://www.homeautomationnet.com/ACT...pec.pdf?id=227

Also there is a known problem with cheap X-10 wall switches. Sometimes they turn the lights ON without signal. There is a simple solution for that using a resistor to bridge 2 IC leads.

Marty
                A Person is Smart. People are Dumb, Panicky Dangerous Animals.
                1,500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was the center of the universe.
                500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat.
                15 minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet.
                Imagine what you’ll know tomorrow.
                TLJ in MIB

Comment

Working...
                X