New Server at last!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Server at last!!!

I've been running HS since the beginning of 2000 on the same box, a 450 PII. I have added a BUNCH of stuff since then, 14 motion sensors, HVAC, CADDX, W800, many many Leviton and Swtichlinc devices. 5 PC's one audrey, and finally I've upgraded the core.

FYI New Dell 400SC 2.4ghz server for $249 free shipping!! Can't beat it! Migration has gone super easy. Per Rupp's directions installed HS, ran the updater and got the most recent versions and then copied the whole folder from the old to new box. Smooth!
    HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

thymer,

I can hear you. I've 500 PII laptop running nothing but HS there. But everyday I found something I like plug-in, scripts... and I keep adding to it. The bigger I get, the more I afraid of switching to another box... Can you give me some idea??? Beside copying everything from the old drive to the new one what else do you need to do?

Thanks,
    hlkc

Comment

thymer,
      Do you have a link for that Dell?
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp,

I believe it is this one: http://catalog.us.dell.com/CS1/cs1pa...463&l=en&s=bsd

Thanks,
        hlkc

Comment

Good deal on that server. I've been pretty happy with client Dell servers that I've had to work on. Truth be told, however, about the only work I've had to do on them are software issues as the hardware lasts quite a while.
          Still not as good of a deal as I got on my new 2.2Ghz P4, 512Mb RAM, 40Gb Compaq laptop I got last week for $200 though!

Comment

Thymer, how did you get it for $249? Just the basic server with a 40GB hard drive comes up $548 when I select that link.

Comment

On the right side of the page, there's a description of the "Basic System" - Celeron based. Follow the customize link and create a stripped machine. The base price is $349 but there's a $100 rebate. This is a system with minimal memory, storage, etc. and no OS.

These deals change all the time so don't expect this particular link/description to work beyond the next day or so.

Comment

This should get you to the right place:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=04&l=en&s=bsd

Reduce the in home waranty to 1 year and keep the RAM at 128 and it's 349 with a 100 rebate. Comes with 40GB drive. Memory is cheap elsewhere as are 120 GB drives. The 40 GB is still 5 times more than what I had before!

It was much easier to move to the new box than I expected. Before moving the hardware I loaded the default HS from the website and then updated it along with all my plugins from the updater. Then copied the entire HS folder under programfiles over to the new server, shut the PC's down and moved the hardware (serial card and hawking modem) over to the new server. I've got only one problem right now, my old Hawking modem doesn't seem to be getting along with XP pro. Still working on it. The lights in the rooms actually come on a little faster now (motion sensors) with the fast pc. It's nice.
                HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

Well 128 is not much RAM and man that RAM is expensive. I think a bare minimum would be 256 and I prefer 512MB.

Comment

Dell's selling 256 for $86 ala carte but I think you could get it cheaper elsewhere. I'm running it at 128 with ATT voices and all and it's working. I am going to bump to 512 though.

Comment

Thymer,
                      How many available PCI slots are on the motherboard on this system?

Comment

Guys am I reading this wrong or can this base server be had for $200?

Comment

I suspect that you are reading it wrong... how do you get it down to $200?

The current base price is $249 AR (after rebate) for the 2.4 Celeron. But the $99 P4 2.8 with Hyperthreading and 800 Mhz FSB look like a nice upgrade. And adding memory...

Comment

The doc's say 3 open PCI slots but I could swear there were 4. The GB LAN is on the mother board. I added two cards, one modem and one 8 port RS232 card. I too did the 800FSB P4 2.8 hyperthread upgrade. Total cost 349 delivered + tax.

Comment

Is the deal off? They are no longer showing the reduced price.

Comment

Working...
                              X