Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Routing wires from attic to wiring closet how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Routing wires from attic to wiring closet how?

Guys,
    I'm starting my wiring closet today and I can't figure out how to route my wires from the attic into the wiring closet and try to maintain some form of thermal barrier? Any suggestions or advice. TIA
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Rupp:

I know what you mean. My builder (when purchasing this new home) actually built out an extended wall for the area where my wiring cabinet would be installed. This way he could put insulation behind it. Of course this was easy because drywall was not yet in. I'll try to get a pic if you would like.
    --------------------------------------------------
    **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

BSR,
      This shouldn't be a problem for me because the closets wall is the attic wall. so I simply open the door to the attic and there is the wire. What I can't figure out is a way to leave an opening to run new wires over the next few weeks and prevent the 115+F warm air out. A picture would be nice.

Comment

Rupp, sent you an Email.
        --------------------------------------------------
        **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

In commercial buildings they usually sleeve through walls with fire-rated conduit (steel or aluminum alloys) and then they seal around the conduit with fire-rated patching compound. The sleeve is long enough on both sides to pass code - something like 2 feet away from the wall on each side. Wires are run through the conduit and some fireproof insulation is stuffed in tightly on both sides to seal the conduit, but the insulation can be pulled out to run more wires. When the job is done, depending on code, they may use a special expanding foam sealant that is fire retarding or fireproof. There are other materials that can be used, too. There is also usually a plastic guard on the end of the conduit so the conduit end doesn't cut the wires being pulled through it.

Some pics and specs:

http://www.belviewfire.co.uk/sleeving.html
          http://web.dcp.ufl.edu/chini/courses...pecs/07270.doc
          |
          | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
          HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

Rupp,
            here is my old post/poll about wiring rooms.
            You might find some ideas there.

Marty

http://ubb.homeseer.com/eve/ubb.x?a=...334#6346053334

Comment

I know it is not up to code... but I used 4" PVC and placed a large 'U' at the top, easy for cables in/out.

Comment

Scott,
                Does this keep out the heat in summer?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rupp:
                  Scott,
                  Does this keep out the heat in summer? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                  I could not say for sure, becuase it is routing to my 'computer room' (actually an old closet) and that room itself gets rather warm. But I would say that I could feel no extra air coming down my pipe...

It was cheap as I already had the hole saw... and if you get the right fittings it snaps together and holds itself up to the ceiling.

Comment

Rupp,
                    talk to me about the heat. My wiring room used to be called a "cold room" before i took it over. Now we had to rename it to a "sauna room". I'll have to rout ne AC went there very soon. The temperature inside is between 80-90 degrees all the time.
                    Oh I realized that I never posted any images of my setup in my original thread, so here they are. Hope this helps.
                    Marty
                    Attached Files

Comment

Second Picture
                      Attached Files

Comment

And third..
                        Attached Files

Comment

Oh, and PS: You don't want to see the attic...

Comment

Looks good. I just had to have my upstairs air unit replaced this week so I had them add a vent to a small 2d X 5w closet. Man is it cold in there now. But I want to add my 2 main computers and gradually move my wiring to this closet. I'm struggling to "envision" how I'm going to route all the wires into the closet as well as the layout. I went to HomeDepot last night and had them cut me 2 of the closet wire shelves. I think I will set my PCs on these but I still need to figure out where to set a monitor. I wanted to start moving this week end but I still ned to get a phone line ran and figure out where to "enter" the closet. One problem is the door to the closet is in the middle and on the back of this closet is another door that enters the attic. So access to the closet shouldn't be too bad. I will have to install my "stuff" on both sides of the closet. It's like this:
                            <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
                            Attic
                            Hallway
                            </pre>
                            I have access from the top (above closet) and rear. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Comment

Just a note from experience - make sure you make yourself a GOOD hand drawing before you start cutting and drilling. Better 2 more days of thinking then 2 weeks of repairing...
                              It's hard to make suggestion, because we do not know all your equipment. Look at some of those posted pictures in my previous thread and those might give you some ideas.
                              And - FOR GOD SAKE - LABEL ALL WIRES !!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X