Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Routing wires from attic to wiring closet how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Czechmarty
    replied
    WOW, that is some good info.

Leave a comment:

• DSteiNeuro
    replied
    Make sure that you take a look at Labor Saving Devices, lots of hints on pulling wires and cool tools!

http://www.lsdinc.com/

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Well I got started today and so far so good. I got my weather server moved and so far all of my one-wire weather devices are working perfectly. I've got my X10 cameras back on line but my pan and tilt is a USB camera and I'm at the limit on the extension cord I'm using on that camera. Routing the wires is going to be easier than I thought. I removed the insulation bat and drilled a hole in the top of the wall plate. I then ran the wires down the edge of the wall. I can then simply replace the insulation bat when I'm finished.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Doolittle
    replied
    I have to run wires from attic to basement. I plan on running them next to a cast iron stovepipe vent.

There was enough gap for me to run a CAT5 and COAX over a year ago so I hope there is enough room for me to fit another CAT 5 and wires for thermostat so I can finally connect my TXB16 (it's been running in "test mode" for a couple months).

The vent has a couple of batts of insulation around it so all I need to do is place them back when I am done and I won't have to worry about air leaks.

Leave a comment:

• AutomatedOutlet
    replied
    Rupp,

After you finish running all of your wires through, just make sure to spray that form insullation stuff in the holes. That should seal in very well!

Leave a comment:

• Czechmarty
    replied
    Just a note from experience - make sure you make yourself a GOOD hand drawing before you start cutting and drilling. Better 2 more days of thinking then 2 weeks of repairing...
    It's hard to make suggestion, because we do not know all your equipment. Look at some of those posted pictures in my previous thread and those might give you some ideas.
    And - FOR GOD SAKE - LABEL ALL WIRES !!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Looks good. I just had to have my upstairs air unit replaced this week so I had them add a vent to a small 2d X 5w closet. Man is it cold in there now. But I want to add my 2 main computers and gradually move my wiring to this closet. I'm struggling to "envision" how I'm going to route all the wires into the closet as well as the layout. I went to HomeDepot last night and had them cut me 2 of the closet wire shelves. I think I will set my PCs on these but I still need to figure out where to set a monitor. I wanted to start moving this week end but I still ned to get a phone line ran and figure out where to "enter" the closet. One problem is the door to the closet is in the middle and on the back of this closet is another door that enters the attic. So access to the closet shouldn't be too bad. I will have to install my "stuff" on both sides of the closet. It's like this:
    <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
    Attic
    Hallway
    </pre>
    I have access from the top (above closet) and rear. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Leave a comment:

• Czechmarty
    replied
    Oh, and PS: You don't want to see the attic...

Leave a comment:

• Czechmarty
    replied
    And third..
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Czechmarty
    replied
    Second Picture
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Czechmarty
    replied
    Rupp,
    talk to me about the heat. My wiring room used to be called a "cold room" before i took it over. Now we had to rename it to a "sauna room". I'll have to rout ne AC went there very soon. The temperature inside is between 80-90 degrees all the time.
    Oh I realized that I never posted any images of my setup in my original thread, so here they are. Hope this helps.
    Marty
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• sbessel
    Guest replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rupp:
    Scott,
    Does this keep out the heat in summer? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I could not say for sure, becuase it is routing to my 'computer room' (actually an old closet) and that room itself gets rather warm. But I would say that I could feel no extra air coming down my pipe...

It was cheap as I already had the hole saw... and if you get the right fittings it snaps together and holds itself up to the ceiling.

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Scott,
    Does this keep out the heat in summer?

Leave a comment:

• sbessel
    Guest replied
    I know it is not up to code... but I used 4" PVC and placed a large 'U' at the top, easy for cables in/out.

Leave a comment:

• Czechmarty
    replied
    Rupp,
    here is my old post/poll about wiring rooms.
    You might find some ideas there.

Marty

http://ubb.homeseer.com/eve/ubb.x?a=...334#6346053334

Leave a comment:

Working...
X