Windows 2000 Networking Issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 2000 Networking Issue?

I have four computers on my home network now and they all see each other. The lattest computer that I added is a Windows 2000 System and it sees all the other computers on the network but can't access the computers or their resources. I'm sure this is something simple, but have not run across it yet. I am new to Windows 2000. The other computers on the network are running Windows 98SE. TIA !!!!!!!

Rick,
    Make sure your user name and password are the same on all computers.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

and workgroup name. also check your sharing params.

Comment

Rupp,
        Are you sure username and password has to be the same on all computers? This doesn't sound right. On the three computers on the network that are talking to each other (Windows 98SE operating System) they all have different user names and passwords. Thanks for your help !!!!!

Comment

Win98 uses file and print sharing. Win2K and XP use security settings. Try adding a user to you win2k machine that has the same password and user name and see what happens.

See reply #1 here:

http://www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID2/907.html

Comment

Rupp,
            When I add a new user to Windows 2000, what user name and password should I use. All three Windows 98 machines have different user names and passwords? Thanks again for all your help !!

Comment

Rick,
              Just choose one to start with to see if it works.

Comment

On this subject, I was wondering for Homeseer applecations and home control in general, what file system should I be using with windows 2000 (FAT32 or NTFS)? I will also be networking this computer with other computers that have Windows 98SE loaded on them. All thing considered, what is the best file system to use? Thanks for your help in advance !!!!!!!!!

Comment

For Homeseer applications and home control in general, what is the best file system to use with Windows 2000 (NTFS or FAT32)? I will also be networking the computer with Windows 98 computers. TIA !!!!!!

Comment

Rick,
                    If I remember correctly Win98 computers can not see an NTFS partition but they can see a FAT32. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

My net has a Win98 FAT32 PC and the rest are XP or 2000. All machines can see the shared content of all others.

Comment

NTFS has protection and security features, and is generally regarded as being more robust. FAT and FAT32, however, can be seen with a DOS boot floppy easily.

I would stay with the best file system for the OS you are on - ie. 9x go with FAT32, W2k and XP Pro go with NTFS.
                        |
                        | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
                        HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

HI,
                          one more thing to look at...

Slow network browsing on 98/ME is due to Win2K. Delete this registry key on your Win2K machine:
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr
                          entVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D627
                          7990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

By default, Win2K is always searching for scheduled tasks on any machine you network to. Deleting this key stops Win2K from doing that. It solved my problem of taking nearly a full minute to connect to my WinME machines.
                          Stuart

Comment

Still having problems with windows 2000 networking issues. I have two systems on the network right now. The name of the Windows 98 System is Hcsys. The Windows 2000 Computer's name is HomeControl. The User name and passwork on the windows 2000 system is the same as the user name and password on the Windows 98 System. These are the logins to the systems. When I go into network neighborhood on the Windows 2000 system and look at entire network, it sees both the Hcsys and Homecontrol Computers. When I double click on the Hcsys Icon (Windows 98 System) I get the error "Network Path Not Found". Both computers are in the workgroup BONARI. Haven't a clue on why I can't see the resources on the Windows 98 System? All the resources on the Windows 98 System are set to share. Any help on this issue would be much appreciated. I thought Windows 2000 networking was supposed to be easy? I am running Windows 2000 Professional. Thanks for the help in advance !!!!!

Comment

Rick,
                              Did you set up file and print sharing in the win98 computer? Can you map a network drive to the 98 pc?

Comment

Working...
                              X