Best hard drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best hard drive

I think my hard drive is going out on my weather server. So I need to know what you guys feel is the best drive. The PC is not starting up and I have to power it up and down several times to get it to finally boot. Any suggestions as to a possible problem are welcomed.
    Maxtor
    0%
    Western Digital
    0%
    Hitachi
    0%
    Samsung
    0%
    SEAGATE
    0%
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

It would be hard to know which is "best", without having used all 5, but I've used several Western Digital drives and have never had any problems with any of them (not one failure).

Comment

Rupp,
      Many have asked same question on avsforum.com. No specific guidance there either. That tells me they are all about equal. One thing I did do with my most recent HS install is put it on a Motherboard that supported Raid1. I used two SATA drives as the boot drives. Within one week one of the drives died. All I had to do was exchange the bad one for same, plug it in, and rebuild the array and I was back in gear without loosing any up time.

Comment

I own four 80 gig and one 200 gig Seagate drives... they are very quiet. Plus, they now come with a five year Warranty.

My Maxtor and Western Digital drives are on a shelf because they make so much drive noise.

Regards,
        Ultrajones
        Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Guys,
          I would like to buy this drive and somehow take an image of the current drive and move it to the new drive and then boot from this new drive. Any suggestions as to how to do this? I have used ghost in the past but haven't needed to swap drives like this in years.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rupp:
            Guys,
            I would like to buy this drive and somehow take an image of the current drive and move it to the new drive and then boot from this new drive. Any suggestions as to how to do this? I have used ghost in the past but haven't needed to swap drives like this in years. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

drive image 7.0 is what i use or norton ghost 2004. I like drive image cause you can do images without leaving windows. pm me for my ftp address and you can download it.
            You just make an image of your current drive and put in on your network somewhere and install your new drive and restore the image.
            Another way would be to install new drive as master by setting jumpers on drive and current drive as slave and do a direct copy using drive image. Of course you have to boot with the drive image cd which loads the network and ide drivers.

Comment

Rupp,
              If you get a Maxtor hard drive it comes with a program called Maxblast. You install the new hard drive as a slave. Boot with the Maxblast disk and tell it to make a copy of the old drive. It copies an exact image to the new drive. When its done, you turn off the computer, take out the old drive and put the new drive in as master. Boot up and you are now on the new drive. I have done this several times. And yes, it works even when the new drive is bigger than the old drive.
              --
              Jeff Farmer
              HS 3, HSPhone
              My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
              Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Cool, This is what I was looking for something easy. I'm getting tired of spending so much time on hardware. The move to the wiring closet has taken so much time and throw into that the dotnet class and I haven't had a lot of free time.

On a side note. I thought a guy could get a 20 -30 gig drive real cheap these days but no they are still in the $60-80 range. This weather server is only used for weather so I do not need a real large drive. I can always throw more backups on it I guess. Thanks Jeff.

Comment

CFGUY,
                  I've had customers try using the programs that come with the drives with mixed results. Sometimes they work alright but if you're trying to move from one brand of drive to a different brand there are occasionally bad results. I've never seen a machine that refused to boot after doing that but I have seen certain programs that refused to work after being imaged like that. After I reimaged them with Ghost, however, it worked fine.
                  Edited to add that if you're Ghosting an XP box with NTFS to make sure you have a fairly new version of Ghost. Even though the file system is still NTFS its slightly different and just enough so that older versions that can work with 2000 and NT4 won't work with XP.

Comment

Rupp, every few weeks, either Best Buy or Compusa have the Seagate 80 gig drives for $39.00 - $49.00 or the 120 gig drives for $59.00 - $69.00 after rebate.
                    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Thanks Ultra. Best buy has a 120 gig WD for $69 after rebate now so I think I will pick one of these tonight.

Comment

Ranish Partition Manager is an old free application that will also do a drive image from master to slave. It does not depend upon manufacturer or slave vs master drive size. On my last disk crash I bought a pair of 80G drives ($39 Western Digital from Frys) and when I had everything restored I cloned it and removed it so the next crash will not be so painful. I think the WD drive also comes with tools to clone identical WD-only drives.

Comment

Rupp

A WD, is not a WD...rather, there are several "levels". I would strongly suggest a WD with the 8mb cache. In this case you want the WD 1200JB, and NOT the WD 1200BB, unless of course you have SATA, then get the WD 1200JD

Comment

Go to the web site of each hard drive manufacturer and read their published warranty.
                            Some little thing about a One Year Warranty beginning the DATE OF MANUFACTURER.

Silly, they can increase the warranty to one year!

You decide....

Comment

I would buy anything but a Western Digital. I have had four different drives fail (in three computers) in the last two years, and Maxtor and Seagate drives do not have a problem in the same computers.

I also have a 3ware IDE RAID5 disk controller, that requires a special BIOS be downloaded if you plan on using Western Digital drives, if that says anything about their quality

Seagate also recently switched to giving five year warranties on their drives.

Jeff

http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/...1,2285,00.html

Comment

Working...
                              X