No announcement yet.

Best hard drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have about a dozen Maxtors, a dozen Seagates and about 30 Ssamsungs.

The Samsungs are by far the quietest drives I own. I haven't had any problems with them at all. The Seagates are very good also. The Maxtors are noisy and don't seem to last. I stopped buying WD drives a few years ago. My ears couldn't take the high pitched whine out of them.

Comment

You guys made be bend down and put my ear next to my computer. I have 6 WD 200GB drives on a raid 5 card in my machine sitting at my feet and I can't hear a thing. Could be I am just deaf .

Seriously though, the WD drives I have are whisper quiet. Except when I am moving a lot of data around. Then the whole case rumbles a little.

I do have seagate drives in my other machines and they are also very quiet.

StevenE
      Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

The only WD drives that I use that have any noise whatsoever are the RAPTOR series 10,000 RPM units. (and their speed makes up for it)I use WD drives almost exclusively in the machines that I sell. Failure rate has been very low.
        Guess this just goes to show that for every 10 people you are gonna find 9 different opinions.

Comment

Yup Skibum, this is same direction that HD threads on AVSForum have gone. Everybody has a favorite or a bad experience. Would be nice to see warranty return vs. Sales numbers from each manufacturer (yeah, right).

I buy when I find 250 gig for less than .50 / gig. Gonna start switching over to SATA.

Comment

I was at my local CompUSA store yesterday (I hate that place, but sometimes I have to visit) and they had a bunch of 80GB CompUSA/Maxtor labeled 7200RPM EIDE hard drives for $39.95 each after rebate. They have a 1 yr limited warrantee. We were going to pick a couple up, but we had such a bad time trying to find anyone to wait on us to buy a monitor that we just walked out.

Did I mention I hate CompUSA retail stores? I've had the most problems with Maxtor drives here (IDE models) - they seem to die after a year or so of solid use - just out of warantee. My other brands (Seagte, WD, IBM) have worked far better, but everyone's experience is different. I think it is model run dependent.
            |
            | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
            HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

Ok,
              I'm as confused as ever. So I think I will get a cheap drive and a good ghosting program. Now to find one that can image from within Windows.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...il&c=1&b=g&u=c

120 gig for $40 after rebates.

Comment

I want tomogh chime in and say that I have experienced several failures with WD drives (4 in total) within the last couple of years. The were all loud and started to whine more as they died. I recent bought two Seagates and they are mighty quiet and still working. I hear Samsungs are good too.
                  HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                  Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                  weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Hi Rupp,
                    I've used drives from most of the manufacturers you have listed, either at work or at home and all are about the same. I agree with the noise. Some drives are quiter than others.
                    As for copying everything over to a new drive I use a program called Xclone. Just connect the old drive as a secondary to the new machine. Install windows and run Xclone in a dos window. You may need to re-install/repair the window setup. I've done this a few times now, on various machines and it always works. No fuss no bother other than having to re-nstall/repair windows afterwards. Plus Xclone is free.
                    It can be found here Xclone13.zip. The authors name is David Weber.

Comment

Rupp, I recently started using Acronis True Image to image my system. It works great and can image the entire HDD without a reboot, you can even (and I have) image your whole system through a RDP session. It makes boot disks and will even save to a hidden partition on any of your HDDs from which you can restore an image from during the boot process by pressing F11 (there will be prompts to follow, so you don't have to worry about accidently restoring an old image if you press F11 accidently).
                      John
                      Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
                      Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
                      HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
                      Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

Another neat thing I like about Acronis True Image is that you can "mount" a saved disk image as a drive. Then you can browse/copy the directories/files on that backup as easily as if it were a real drive partition.

Comment

Working...
                        X