Power on Signal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power on Signal

I have a home Generator in the back yard that turns on a light bulb 60 w when it performs its weekly exercise. I want it to send an x10 signal so that I know that process took place. A photocell sundowner could work but is there anything else that would send an x-10 signal when it powers on

Isn't there 1-wire voltage sensing devices? Or, a relay that has it's 110 volt coil wire connected to the generator output (so it is energized when the generator is on). Then, the normally open contacts on the relay attach to a Powerflash transmitter which sends the X10 signal.

How is the generator physically seperated from the house wiring when it is doing it's maintenance startup? Is there also a transfer switch that doesn't transfer during the maintenance turn on?

Comment

rdc,
      Have you ever seen one of those gadgets that screw into a light bulb socket that converts it to a plugin? If so you could screw one of these in and connect the plug to a 100V relays from radio shack. Then you could connect the 12V side to a powerflash module and upon sensing voltage it would send an X10 signal.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rupp:
        rdc,
        Have you ever seen one of those gadgets that screw into a light bulb socket that converts it to a plugin? If so you could screw one of these in and connect the plug to a 100V relays from radio shack. Then you could connect the 12V side to a powerflash module and upon sensing voltage it would send an X10 signal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not just get a 12 Volt transformer (120 &gt; 12 VAC) Or if you have a SECU16 use a 5 volt DC wallwort to one of its inputs.

Comment

Paul H,

That's an excellent idea. Plug a wall wart into the plug and then into the powerflash.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thank you all
            I plugged a 9v power supply into the bulb socket and then attached it to a powerflash module and it works great

Comment

How about a motion sensor as a daylight detector (presuming your generator is enclosed - it would presume the 60W bulb was daylight) ?
              Neil
              Newmarket Ontario

Comment

RDC,

See this thread for a good solution.

http://ubb.homeseer.com/eve/ubb.x?a=...986#7682905986

Comment

Working...
                X