Big Problem with Dimming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Problem with Dimming

Trying out HS to replace Plato driving an older HouseLinc. Like it, but I've got a problem that constitues a "Fatal Flaw" for me.

It would appear that I can't raise a dimmed switch to a brighter setting without going thru full-bright first. This means that I can't have the Hall light come up to a low setting from full-dim in the middle of the night when a motion detector triggers it. Going full-bright in the middle of the night is a non-starter.

I know that HS can do this because the controls on the TouchPad allow moving from dim to brighter without going thru fullbright first.

What am I doing wrong?

drm

DMurph02
    What kind of a switch are you trying to control? How do you have it defined in HS?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks for your repsponse!

The switches (this phenomena happens with all the switches in the house} are "garden vaiety" x-10 one way switches. The kind Smarthone calls 2031.

They are set up in HS as the pre-defined "lightswitch" which sets "standard dim".

Nothing's wrong with the switches (methinks), because I can still command them up or down in steps from Plato without going to fullbright.

drm

Comment

I think you have to set a relative bright/dim. If you choose an absolute value to dim to then those switches go full bright 1st.

I'm at work so I can't tell you exactly how to set that - maybe someone can jump in here and help you out more.
        Bruce

"The universal answer is 42."

Comment

DMurph02,
          If your using the 2031 switches and they are turned OFF then they can only be dimmed after going to full bright On the other hand if they are TRULY dimmed to zero then they should be able to go from full dim to any dim level. I know this can be done because I do it with several lamp modules.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

They are dimmed to zero - I'm certain.

In any case the same problem exhibits itself if one is set to, say 40% and I command it to 70%. It goes from 40% to 100% then back down to 70%.

This happens from the Status Screen in either the program itself or web-access. Also happens in events.

Thanks muchly!

drm

Comment

I think Bruce is right here.

You can't give it a hardcoded "70%". The standard "garden variety" switches can not report the dim level that they are at back to HomeSeer. So when you send it a command to go to "70%", it has to go to 100% first, so it "knows" where the dim level is first, and then it can back down to 70%.

The reason Plato is working, is because you are going up and down in steps as you said. There is not true hardcoded dim percentage then.

To go from 40% to 70% brightness, you would need to send the command to go up 3 "steps" in brightness. Meaning you would not be sending a hardcoded perent, just an increase from the current level.

To go from 40% to 70% send the command brighten 30%. This should do the trick.

Hope this helps a little bit.
              Visit My Home Seer Site at:
              www.JohnWPB.com
              Created with LCARS

Comment

Hi Gang,

I have the opposite problem from DMurph02.

I have lamps that I dim to zero and then brighten as required because I like the "soft on/off", they are connected to a plug into socket lamp module, LM something. The set up used to work perfect, but now, after I dim to zero if they are brought back to 50% then dimmed to zero they almost go out but not completely. To get them out I have to go to 100% then dim to zero.

Anyone any ideas?

Gogs.
                sigpic
                A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Well, there may be another way, but I made it work using this command:

hs.ExecX10 "A3", "ddim", 99, 0
                  to lower the light to totaldim

and

hs.ExecX10 "A3", "ddim", 35, 0
                  to raise it to 35%

drm

Comment

Hi Drm,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>hs.ExecX10 "A", "ddim", 99, 0
                    to lower the light to totaldim

and

hs.ExecX10 "A3", "ddim", 35, 0
                    to raise it to 35% <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for that, not familiar with the "ddim" command, but there are so many.

Wrote the scripts, tested using test button and they work. Now to see if they work when the sensor triggers.

BTW when I use the command "hs.ExecX10 "A", "ddim", 99, 0" the light goes almost full on as opposed to dimmed to zero, I changed the 99 to zero and it seems to work. If this should not be the case please let me know.

Thanks again,
                    Gogs.
                    sigpic
                    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Working...
                    X