My new Weeder I/O board is in !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sdanks,
    That would be great if you would get it working. I've got the same board in work we bought for some old project but then things changed and we don't need any more.
    Please keep us posted.

Marty

Comment

Sdanks,
      Any progress? How is your project progressing?

Marty

Comment

It's working fine. I already had several wires run to the different places. I have the garage door hooked up and driveway motion sensor and I am wiring up the various other parts. I have to make an interface to the alarm system, and I will buying another board pretty soon. That way I have 14 inputs and 14 outputs. (I might even use some of the additonal lines from the second board as inputs too, since I dont really need that many outputs. . . yet). I got the scripts running with opencomportex and now they are really small and working great. They update my devices as the inputs change.
        A computer's attention span is as long
        as it's powercord.

Comment

That is great. Would you be willing to share your script/plugin? I'd love to try it with my board.
          Thanks

Marty

Comment

Here are the scripts I run. The setup script needs to be run once, and then the weedcb.txt gets called when the data arrives at the port. I have only setup the first 7 inputs for now, so there are only 7 commands sent to board in the setup script. You could add the other 7 or change the other 7 to outputs. But I havent expanded it yet. I will probably buy another baord next payday so my scripts will change. I'm thinking of using one board for inputs and one for outputs.
            Attached Files
            as it's powercord.

Comment

Scripts

Is it possible for you to attach the scripts. I am trialing the homeseer software and I would like to try it with my Weeder cards.

Regards
              Scott

Comment

Hello All,

Can someone please guide me what is this board for in layman's language. What it is used for? I am new to Automation and unable to understand its use.

Is there a primer on this hardware somewhere on this forum that describes intended use and application.

Thanks,
                Shaurya

Comment

Very short explanation.

I just have time to give a quick note about what these are for...

A digital I/O board is typically used to detect some sort of discrete external event, i.e. a switch that is either open or closed. The most familiar device to equate this to is a basic security system. There are various I/O ports which have a circuit loop wired through various switches in a "zone", i.e. some windows/doors. Generally, there is a resistor in the circuit such that a constant resistance is seen in the circuit. If a switch gets opened, the unit can detect this change in resistance and determines that a switch is now open.

Additionally, some of these devices can also be configured as analog inputs. In this case, they can measure voltage on the port. Some sensors (like temperature) put out linear voltage based on what they are measuring allowing you to measure things.

Given this, you can see how these open up the possibility to add more features to your HA system, like monitoring for garage door open/closed, washer/dryer cycle complete (maybe hook up to buzzer), etc.

gk

Comment

I am very interested in this I/O board. I am looking for a low cost way to monitor and control many contact closures for my alarm system, garage, window and door contacts, etc.

If I were to purchase this board, would I need any additional hardware to hookup these devices?

Can I simply attach the wires coming from my alarm system or do I need a special resister or something?
                    Thanks.

Comment

Are you intending to MOVE the connections from your current security system over to this board or were you wanting to have this monitor the contacts in both systems?

I suspect that moving the connections over is likely to be as simple as reconnecting w/o any additional h/w. However, trying to do this in parallel is not as simple as connecting to both systems.

gk

Originally posted by CalKid
                      I am very interested in this I/O board. I am looking for a low cost way to monitor and control many contact closures for my alarm system, garage, window and door contacts, etc.

If I were to purchase this board, would I need any additional hardware to hookup these devices?

Can I simply attach the wires coming from my alarm system or do I need a special resister or something?
                      Thanks.

Comment

I just want to be able to know when the system is tripped, so my computer can notify me via internet.

A simple PowerFlash module will do this, but I was looking for something to handle more than one dry contact closure to monitor not only the alarm system, but each of the door/window contacts, and/or the garage door contact, etc.

And perhaps, if needed, have the computer trip the alarm system much like a panic button.

There are many expensive I/O boards out there, but I am looking for a simple, low cost version that can handle more than 4 contact closures.

Comment

Agreed I was hoping to go full throttle on my home system and have MANY MANY dry contacts. this would make an ideal solution if it can be set up properly

Comment

I took the plunge and purchased the Digital I/O module. I am eagerly awaiting is arrival!

Comment

Module usage

I've noticed that the web site has several modules. What are some uses for them from a home automation standpoint?

1. Solid State Relay Module
                              2. Digital I/O Module
                              3. Analog Input Module
                              4. Analog Output Module
                              5. Stepper Motor Driver
                              6. Pulse Counter/Timer

Thanks,
                              Chris

Comment

Sorry I didnt see the renewed interest in this thread. I have always wanted to control external devices from a computer. I spent 2 years in high school at a local vo-tech class that taught verything from resistors to microprocessors in 1005 classroom hours. So I have some ability to read technical documentation. I even built a board that had similar functionality to what this does for the apple IIe. Only it was not as flexible to use. Anyway, what this board does is allow for a digital input that the compouter sees as a 1 or a 0. There are several ports (or screwdowns) on the board. Each one has a reference to it. A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N. These can be setup as an input or output. it interfaces with the computer on a serial port. Then you send it commands that either read one of the inputs (returns a 0 or 1) or outputs a voltage ( 0v or 5v) (or pretty close to that). So, what I did was to install another door contact on my doors, in addition to the alarm system so they are independent. And then I have one wire to the contact connected to ground. The other side goes to the weeder board input. Since the input usually floats high when nothing is connected, I get a "1" if the door is open. when the door closes, it connects the ground, through the switch to the input, and I get a "0". The board can be programmed to send the data as the input changes, and HS will call a script when it sees the data on the com port. So I dont have to look at it in a loop. This takes the load off the computer. IF I were to use the board for an output, I would have the output connected to the base lead on a transistor (2n2222) and wire it so that the transistor turned on a relay. The board cannot handle the current needed to drive the relay directly even though it is small. That way, I could effectively have a on/off switch that is controlled by the computer. This opens up the computer to real life interfacing. Also, HS responds in about 1 second ore less to this type of input, and I can make announcements when someone walks up to the front of the house and breaks the photobeam I have installed across the front. I get an announcement that says, "Excuse me, but we have a visitor at the front door" when this happens. Guests are freaked out by this and the dogs learned the announcement and now run to the front door. It tells me when the garage door or back gate is opened too. As I have money, (I cut up my credit cards and am getting out of debt), I will buy more devices that send a "contact closure" (switch) to HS and I can make more things happen. This is the never ending hobby. I just have a long way to go to catch up with Tink.

This is a low tech discription of board, and it does so much more. I wish I had more time to spend on it. I am thinking of dismantling all my HS stuff and starting over in a rackmount build. I have a surplus one that sat outside for the last 15 years or so I need to cleanup, and repaint. So, some of my mods will have to wait until then. I have not tried this with HS2.0 yet. I am piecing together a new HS computer for this. But it is costly. (3.2 ghz 1 gb ram, want to find an inexpensive rack mount case for it. etc.) But like I said, it is a hobby.
                                as it's powercord.

Comment

Working...
                                X