Dimmable Compact Fluorescent Experiment Over Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bryan Nystrom View Post
    I purchased a Phillips 60W eq. (Home Depot) last week and almost took it back. It was an overhead flood light for our kitchen sink area. When I installed it and turned it on, it was very dim.
    And you don't have a dimable X10 or Z-Wave switch installed, right?

~Bill

Comment

Yes,

All my dimmables are on zwave dimmer switches.

Thom

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post

Comment

When using the Harmony bulbs the instructions state that the first time you turn on the bulbs let them stay on for at least 5 minutes. After I did that the first time they almost go right to the top brightness.

Thom

Originally posted by Bryan Nystrom View Post
        I purchased a Phillips 60W eq. (Home Depot) last week and almost took it back. It was an overhead flood light for our kitchen sink area. When I installed it and turned it on, it was very dim. I thought to myself, "how can they think this puts out as much light as the standard 60w I just replaced". I turned it off and came back hours later and turned it back on. Same dim light. I just left the room and didn't think about it anymore. I had left it on and later when I walked it the light was just as bright as my origianl 60w'er, so it didn't even strike me that this was the fluoresent going. I had not bothered to wait the almost 60 seconds before it actually kicked in. I'm happy with the light output after it gets warmed up, but I'm not sure who it will affect the WAF. Not sure if she will be willing to wait almost a full minute to get decent light.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenAcres View Post
          Yes,

All my dimmables are on zwave dimmer switches.

Thom
          They don't usually play well together. For fluorescents it is best to stick with relay output (non-dimmer) switches.

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Dimm...tches-C64.aspx

~Bill

Comment

Re: The delay to full brightness with CFLs:

Yes, I still find a little bit of a delay, but it lasts less than 30 seconds until things are bright enough that we can't detect any difference with CFLs. After having them in for several weeks now, the family agrees that they're just fine.

Re: dimmers and CFLs:

It depends on whether or not you have dimmable CFLs. Those rated as dimmables operate just fine. NON-dimmables, though, make a humming noise and yes, should be used either at full brightness (works just fine then) or with relays.
            Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

I have never had and issues with my zwave dimmers and the CFL's. They work perfectly every time.

Thanks

Thom

They don't usually play well together. For fluorescents it is best to stick with relay output (non-dimmer) switches.

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Dimm...tches-C64.aspx

Comment

No, this is on a standard switch. No Home Automation involved.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenAcres View Post
                  When using the Harmony bulbs the instructions state that the first time you turn on the bulbs let them stay on for at least 5 minutes. After I did that the first time they almost go right to the top brightness.

Thom
                  I'll have to check out those Harmony bulbs. With the exception of the delay to full power, I'm quite impressed with the Philips light quality and strenth. Not what I remembered from a couple of years back when I tried these CF bulbs where the light given off was noticeably "Fluorescent".

Comment

Has anyone tried these dimmable CCF?

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...trypage=search

Also what seems to be the best dimmable CCF to use with X10?

John
                    John

Comment

Yes,

Originally posted by jwilson56 View Post
                      Has anyone tried these dimmable CCF?

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...trypage=search

Also what seems to be the best dimmable CCF to use with X10?

John
                      I ordered the same units from Amazon, $43.99 total for 10. I have compared these with HomeDepot GE R30 flood light on a LampLink V1. The GE's have a more linear dim rate, but both have a pretty narrow dim rate. At 50% according to the LampLink i preceived a 95% light level. Below 50% things dim quick. Both lights have EXACATLY the same turn on/off point on the dimmer. The U Lighting of America lights do hum a little after about 50% of visible dim (my perception, lower than 50% on the switch). Compared to a standard non-dimable bulb, the U Lighting hum much less, perhaps 1/4 of "standard CFL". The GE lights are absolutley quite at all dim rates.

I consider the U Lighting bulbs "sort of dimmable". Probably worth the $4.31 per bulb I.M.H.O. especially since there seem to be no sutible alternatives for a non-PAR lamp.

I will keep these and use them, but I would like to see some truly linear bulbs with no hum. I don't think any dimmable CFL's that I have tried are direct replacements for an incandescent bulbs.

I'll hope to update this over time.

Comment

U Lighting stuff

There is an Email address on the side of the box, e-mail:mail@ulighting-usa.com. www.ulighting-usa.com points to under construction.

I found a D&B page that said there were 2 employees of the company.

I found another link that indicated a recall on a CFL from ulighting due to fire and such, but you had to pay $5 to read the rest of the article or see the model number.

Energystar.gov shows a de-certified model, SRS15W. I suspect this was the recalled unit.

The units I received are SDS15 and are not de-certified.

There is a sticker on the package from PG&E indicating these bulbs are part of a discounted California program. I found this PDF that looks like it is for this product. It states that the bulbs are dimmable from 10%-25% of full brightness. My opinion is that the number is a LOT closer to 25% than 10%, perhaps even more if you don't want flickering.

http://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pdf...ercflflyer.pdf

PG&E site www.pge.com/res/rebates (from the package)

http://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pdf...ercflflyer.pdf

Comment

Hi All!

After reading this thread, I have been searching for the Philips Marathon Classic Par38 dimmable, but can't find it at Lowes and Home Depot. In fact, I can't find it online either.

Does anyone has a URL to a reasonable deal for these?

I did find this product. Has anyone here tried one?

http://www.1000bulbs.com/PAR38-Dimma...lectors/32312/

Also - what is the group consensus on a good brand and model for dimmable cfl for standard bulb replacement? My better half prefers bulb-shaped rather than spiral.

Finally, I am also looking for good dimmable cfl candle bulbs. Any suggestions here?

Thanks...

Comment

My local HD is also out of these. I asked the dept. manager, and he says it all comes out of Atlanta now - they can't control it at the store or region level. My Philips are all still working very well, though, after several months. I routinely have them dimmed to about 70%, and get no noise that we can detect.

As for dimmable regular bulbs (lamp type) I haven't found anything great yet. If you do, please post.
                            Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

These bulbs may not be as "Environmentally Friendy" or "Green" as many people think. See the article link below...especially the part about disposing of them properly and the mercury content of these bulbs. I think while this technology has the potential to save you money on energy and save tons of CO2 emmisions, it may not be ready for prime time just yet. I will guess that most people will not dispose of them properly if they even knew to do so in the first place. Also if you live in cold climates, they do not perform well. I see this as any other new fad or trendy bandwagon that many people are just waiting to jump on. I am not sure we have enough real science to show that this is good for anything except the bank accounts of companies that are making huge profits from the sale of these bulbs.

Just my 2 cents.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,309220,00.html

Comment

They have been very good to my electric bill.

Comment

Working...
                                X