Yet another router question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another router question.

Guys on my old DL 713P router I have to reboot the router if I change any of the virtual servers (ports that are forwarded). Is this true for all routers?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

I do not have to reboot my LinkSys BEFSR41 when I make changes. I also do not have to reboot when using scripts to make changes.
    --
    Jeff Farmer
    HS 3, HSPhone
    My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
    Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

I have a Linksys and I did not have to reboot. I dont know if it internally does a reboot, but since I'm running DHCP, I dont think it needs to, or I would have had to reboot all the pc's attached to it.
      A computer's attention span is as long
      as it's powercord.

Comment

I wonder if this is a DLink thing or an older router thing?

Comment

Maybe time to switch to a new router. I see at Compusa the Linksys Befsr41 is $39 after 10$ mail in and 10$instant rebates.
          A computer's attention span is as long
          as it's powercord.

Comment

Rupp,

My router/WAP needs to be restarted each time I make a change. It's a D-link as well (DI-714). Must be a D-Link "option"?

Chuck

Comment

Dlink 624 here.. yes it needs a restart to update port changes.

Comment

Crud,
                So it must be a DLink thang. Bummer, because I love my DLink router and the DLink support has been one of the best I have ever worked with.

Comment

Just curious, Ruppster...

What is the big deal about having to reboot when you make a routing change? It's 1 easy click. I mean it's not like it is something you do on a regular basis, is it?

Comment

Ski,
                    I use netmeeting to login to my PCs from work. I know there are other alternatives but with the firewall and all the other problems I have stuck with netmeeting. Anyway I have to change the port forwarding from one address to another if I want to go to different computers on my lan. It's not that big of a deal but just enough to be a pain.

Comment

Maybe this should be your opportunity to go to something like TightVNC. I can access all of my machines by simply changing my login port. Works great, free, and you can stop changing ports all the time. Setup is EASY.... come on in!

Comment

Ski I tried that here from work and couldn't get it to work. Does it require any certain ports to be opened?

Comment

Not sure if the remote end is savvy enough. I also don't know if you can change ports on netmeeting clients but.....

Why not forward port X to one pc, port Y to another. When you want someone to connect tell them which port. Again depends on end user savvy and if the client can handle it.

Comment

Patrick,
                            particular port(s) that have to be opened.

Comment

To anyone wanting to access their pc from work I highly recommend http://www.remotelyanywhere.com/ I use this from work on a daily basis and it runs over SSL. It is exactly like being at the machine. Very cool software. Works through all firewalls cause the session is encapsulated in the SSL session.

Comment

Working...
                              X