Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XP Home to XP Pro upgrade question

Guys,
    I have XP home on my laptop and want to upgrade to XP Pro. I received an MSDN license at work giving me access to the XP Pro license. Tonight I started to "upgrade" but a message pops up stating that I have a newer version of software on my laptop. My guess is the MSDN is not an upgrade but a full install but I should be able to upgrade no?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Try rolling back your service packs. My guess would be that the disk you got has an earlier version (non-sp version) and since you've got sp's on there it doesn't do it since your version is newer.

Comment

The upgrade costs less, so usually the full version does more. I dont know why it would say you have a newer version already installed. Does it not allow you to continue?
      A computer's attention span is as long
      as it's powercord.

Comment

Rupp, I go with fireball.. uninstall all service packs, your upgrade is looking at certain files to see what dates you have... it will most probably be your SP1 version of Internet Explorer. M$ often use its version number as a reference to whats on yur PC.

Comment

Rupp,

I agree with the rollbacks but it is possible to use build a WinXP Pro SP2 install disk from the one you got and then the rollbacks would be unnecessary. It is not a trivial matter because there are usually a lot of steps that have to be done to build the disk.

System administrators either use the resulting install CD or provide the install via network.

There term for doing this is called slipstreaming and here is one link I found. Note that I have not tried this myself.

Let me know how it goes. My HomeSeer Server uses XP Home and I have been wanting to move to XP Pro. I only want to upgrade though. I do not want to do a complete reinstall.

UPDATE
          ------
          I just read the link that I posted and I may go to the trouble of building a slipstreamed disk. This would give you a good repair disk if needed.
          Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
          My Hardware & Software

Comment

Working...
          X