Another Solution to X10 reliability problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Solution to X10 reliability problems

I moved my computer from the Den to the Garage last month to reduce the noise level in the Den. Since then the X10 communications have not been as reliable. While I tried all the standard techniques and moved the powerline interfaces around to different circuits. It was never as good as before.

The solution that I have found to work is to run a dual X10 interface. One a CMA11 and one a ADIOcelot. The CMA11 is connected via XAP. Now each command is replicated on the powerline. Since it takes longer for it to get through the Ocelot it actually comes out a little later so no proplems with collisions.

Do you have a coupler/repeater?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Yes, and filters at critial locations. The computers are on a different circuit than before, but even when I run the CM11A on the prior circuit the reliability is not the same. A delicate balance has been disturbed at my house.

Comment

I made a special circuit (breaker, wiring and outlet just for my CM11A. No problems since.
        Also coupler/repeater and filters on all UPS's of course.

Marty

Comment

I had heard of others using Czechmartry's technique. Have a circuit run out of the breaker box to an outlet just a few feet away, and plug all of your powerline interfaces into that circuit... Then it only has a few feet to travel to the break box, coupler/(repeater) and the rest of your circuits.

Also, If you don't have any test equipment, I beleive Martin at Automated Outles will loan equipment out. Using this, you can find the exact sources of your problems.

Then again, it sounds like you've already found a solution, so I'm just wasting keystrokes
          John
          Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
          Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
          HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
          Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

I did give it a try by wiring another circuit with the breaker located next to the breaker where the coupler/repeater is located. Ran Rs232 from the PC to the CM11A which was plugged into the new circuit. No change is behavior.

If it was only one circuit that was giving me problems then local noise would account for it, but there are a few that have become deaf to the CM11A or ADIOcelot by itself.

I may give Martin a call the next time I be in town for awhile and see if the load is a possibility since I would like to understand why. My current solution does work well and since I wasnt using the ADIOcelot for X10 before there is no additional hardware involved.

Comment

Working...
            X