Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device display status = value?

Hi:

I have had HS v1.xx for a number of years, but never got down to scripting. I still consider myself a novice user of HS. I just installed HS v2.1.104.0 and wanted to completely re-vamp the control of my motion sensors. I read a thread about setting up a virtual device that would work as an occupancy sensor instead of just using the status of the motion sensor itself.

I set up the virtual device, but I don't see an easy way to set the value of the virtual device to a string like "occupied" or "vacant." I know you can set the display status on the Control Device screen, but I can't figure out how to do this from the Event/Actions screen. I also can't see how to evaluate the display status string to control other devices.

Maybe I have to use only device values (0-100), but I wanted something a little more user friendly. Is there a way to do these things without having to learn scripting?

Thanks!

Biomed,
    Most users use DooMotion to do all of this for us automatically. I have 14 motion sensors and allow DooMotion to manage all of them. It's sets my virtual device "Occupancy" to occupied based on X number of motion sensors being activate and it can do so much more. It's worth the cost in added benefits.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

If you click on the advanced options button on the event actions / set device status screen you should see a field to allow the setting of the device string.

Jon

Originally posted by Biomed View Post
      Hi:

I have had HS v1.xx for a number of years, but never got down to scripting. I still consider myself a novice user of HS. I just installed HS v2.1.104.0 and wanted to completely re-vamp the control of my motion sensors. I read a thread about setting up a virtual device that would work as an occupancy sensor instead of just using the status of the motion sensor itself.

I set up the virtual device, but I don't see an easy way to set the value of the virtual device to a string like "occupied" or "vacant." I know you can set the display status on the Control Device screen, but I can't figure out how to do this from the Event/Actions screen. I also can't see how to evaluate the display status string to control other devices.

Maybe I have to use only device values (0-100), but I wanted something a little more user friendly. Is there a way to do these things without having to learn scripting?

Thanks!
      Jon Ort
      JonOrt@The--Orts.com
      (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Thanks! I knew I was missing something easy! And thanks for the heads-up about DooMotion. I'll look into it.

Comment

PS: I just thought I would note an often asked question: Once you set text into a device it stays there even if the device value or status changes. If you want to the device to go back to displaying the status/value you have to set the word "Clear" into the device string. Unfortunately if you want the device to actually say "Clear" I'm not sure how you would do that :>

Jon

Originally posted by Biomed View Post
          Thanks! I knew I was missing something easy! And thanks for the heads-up about DooMotion. I'll look into it.
          Jon Ort
          JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Originally posted by Oman View Post
            PS: I just thought I would note an often asked question: Once you set text into a device it stays there even if the device value or status changes. If you want to the device to go back to displaying the status/value you have to set the word "Clear" into the device string. Unfortunately if you want the device to actually say "Clear" I'm not sure how you would do that :>

Jon
            I was planning on having events to identify and tag Vacant or Occupied conditions, then use those status flags to turn on and off dimmed lighting for nightlights late at night. Thanks for the tip on Clear.

Comment

I did not know about "Clear", I simply set it to an empty string. Funny thing is I do occasionally use the word "Clear" in a device string. It is the result of my weather script! The weather script also embeds an image so the actual device string contains HTML tags plus the word "Clear" (or Cloudy, etc.).
              Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
              My Hardware & Software

Comment

how can i set an image in the divice status?
                i copy'd the gif image in the html folder .
                what code i have to set. so the image will be used in the status columb

Comment

You can set it to an empty string in a script, but when you use an empty string in an event it is like saying "don't do anything to the status string". You use clear in the event's device string function.

Jon

Originally posted by Jim Doolittle View Post
                  I did not know about "Clear", I simply set it to an empty string. Funny thing is I do occasionally use the word "Clear" in a device string. It is the result of my weather script! The weather script also embeds an image so the actual device string contains HTML tags plus the word "Clear" (or Cloudy, etc.).
                  Jon Ort
                  JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

can i give in the Event action..up what image i like to be displayed in the status column
                    in the divice view.
                    what code i have to set in the field caled ( Set display status to

Comment

how can I Set Display field to clear?

A very simple question that I just can't find: I'm using:
                      HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.297 (Linux)
                      and in the events page all my devices show a "Set Display to clear line".

Where do I do this?

Most of the documentation that I could find was for the Windows version, under advanced options, but where is that in the linux version?

Many thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X