RFID tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RFID tags

I know several large companies are using these now, but I am wondering if there are any companies selling this to the consumers yet. This technology is (or at least can be) rather cheap, and would allow homeseer to track who is where (just think of the possibilities, build one into a watch or necklace, or even clothes!). Someone here has to have access to this technology and be able tell us more about it

HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
    (aka xplosiv)
    Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Sounded interesting so I did some google searching. Pretty cool stuff. Though, at least for now, seems VERY expensive. Here is one link I found where purchases for eval kits can be made: http://www.rfidusa.com/evaluation_kits.html

WAY out of my range. Maybe given some time it will come down

JustOneMore
    http://www.justonemore.us
    FreeWorldDialup desktop# 25831, PPC# 26420

Comment

Here is something I almost buy every month or so. I try to stay away since I already have so many other projects going on.

It doesn't transmit as extensive data as the more common badge implementations used in security. But, it is secure.

I'm pretty sure you should be able to find something reasonably priced. But you will be stuck with whatever badge they give you. The ability to program a badge is a higher level in complexity.

Also, realize that the range of these things is only a few inches. Since they are passive devices, you can never expect that to increase much.

However, if you're looking to invest in something like this, check out ultra wideband technology. Specifically, Parco Merged Media, who is trying to adapt this for asset (equipment and people) location in hospitals. There is also a lot of military action in this arena. Most of the focus is on the consumer personal area network (PAN), but some companies are developing it for locating.

[This message was edited by MikeMatthews on Fri, 23 May 2003 at 09:40 AM.]

Comment

Very interesting link. Thanks Mike. Now to stir up some applications in my head for it

JustOneMore
        http://www.justonemore.us
        FreeWorldDialup desktop# 25831, PPC# 26420

Comment

I've done a lot of work with RFID in the last few years in my job. Mostly long-range; 1-10m, some are ID only, others are ID+stored data; some are read/write. Much of my work is with "backscatter" RFID tags - about $1-20 ea. These power themselves with the incoming RF from a tag reader. Other tags have small batteries, up to $55.

Lots of companies in this field. As they begin to replace bar codes. Airlines - baggage tags and higher security boarding passes were driving this until their R&D investments pooped out. Europe is doing more.

Tag readers are costly - serveral thousand $ for the sophisticated ones.

The proximity tags are a few pennies and the readers are low cost. Range is an inch or so.

Texas Instruments (such as the short range Mobile Gas Station RF ID tag), SAVI, Philips and many others are big in the field. Trade journals such as ID Technologies give an overview.

Of late, I've been working with systems which determine the location of 802.11 equipped PDAs, Laptops, to about 2m accuracy in x/y/z. And a few companies are now making RFID tags (pager sized) for 802.11.

Interesting field.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevech
            I've done a lot of work with RFID in the last few years in my job. Mostly long-range; 1-10m, some are ID only, others are ID+stored data; some are read/write. Much of my work is with "backscatter" RFID tags - about $1-20 ea. These power themselves with the incoming RF from a tag reader. Other tags have small batteries, up to $55.

Lots of companies in this field. As they begin to replace bar codes. Airlines - baggage tags and higher security boarding passes were driving this until their R&D investments pooped out. Europe is doing more.

Tag readers are costly - serveral thousand $ for the sophisticated ones.

The proximity tags are a few pennies and the readers are low cost. Range is an inch or so.

Texas Instruments (such as the short range Mobile Gas Station RF ID tag), SAVI, Philips and many others are big in the field. Trade journals such as ID Technologies give an overview.

Of late, I've been working with systems which determine the location of 802.11 equipped PDAs, Laptops, to about 2m accuracy in x/y/z. And a few companies are now making RFID tags (pager sized) for 802.11.

Interesting field.
            Have you seen our Post at:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...highlight=RFID

This is proven technology that we have adapted for HA use. It is NOT 2.4 Ghz as in the examples above, rather the tags are ACTIVE, we are getting prepared for beta test of the plugin.

Round 2 of the beta test will take advantage of a built-in motion sensor in a new model tag. In this regard, we will not only be able to tell you that the tag is detected or leaves the field of the reader, but if it is Moving.

Thanks

Peter
            Last edited by pmonahan; February 9, 2005, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X