Weather reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather reports

OK, I wasted about an hour last night playing with a script that is no longer supported.

What works for weather reports? I want to be able to do all the things that the Weathermanscript did.

I went through the script library, but I don't know/want to know about XML, and I don't live in the UK. After those, the newest weather script only gives the temperatures - it works though! Then comes one that doesn't include forecasting.

--------------
    -=A.J. Griglak

is XML Weather right now. You don't need to know anything about xml - the script simply preloads your virtual devices with the weather data.

Comment

If you give me an email I will send you my weatherman scripts and ini files. They currently are in working order.

-Rupp
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp,
        I would also be interested in the working version of Weatherman.

Thanks,

Ron
        rpeadro@hotmail.com

Comment

Does your audio forcast buttons work?

Thanks,

Terry Hickman

Comment

Ameridan... Since I haven't seen the script you are referring too, I have nothing to compare it too, but the Weatherman script is exactly what I was looking for!

Terry... No, my audio forecast button doesn't work, so I presume Rupp's doesn't either.

Rupp... Thanks again, you are the man!! However:

-As Terry mentioned, the audio button doesn't work.

-The virtual devices w, w23, w24, w25, w26, w27, & w29 aren't populated. I'm assuming that w25 would hold the temperature only, which I would like to use as a variable in a couple of HVAC events that I have...

-The TTS of the weather report is awesome! Al Roker look out! ;-) Two problems, though. Hank (what I call HS) reads through all the data once using the AT&T voices, and then reads through it all again using the 'old school' TTS voice. Makes me realize how my decision to buy the AT&T voices was a good one! The other problem is that HS stops everything else while the weather report is being read. Anyway to get that done in the background. (Although, thinking as I write this - if he only read it once, it wouldn't be such a bad thing...)

I tried looking through the script to find out why the old TTS is reading the report a second time, but didn't want to break anything. Man, that script is complicated! Hats off to the creators! I hope to understand half of it someday! ;-)

If I understand it correctly, the weather data is updated by triggering the Weatherman.txt script, which I have set to 30 minutes. Also, if the time is between the parameters set in the .INI file, it will read all the data. Is there any way to have the data updated every 30 minutes, but only read as requested?

--------------
            -=A.J. Griglak

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by A.J. Griglak:
              Ameridan... Since I haven't seen the script you are referring too, I have nothing to compare it too, but the Weatherman script is exactly what I was looking for!

Terry... No, my audio forecast button doesn't work, so I presume Rupp's doesn't either.

Rupp... Thanks again, you are the man!! However:

-As Terry mentioned, the audio button doesn't work.

-The virtual devices w, w23, w24, w25, w26, w27, & w29 aren't populated. I'm assuming that w25 would hold the temperature only, which I would like to use as a variable in a couple of HVAC events that I have...
              I do not use the virtual devices you listed above. So thats probably why I have never looked into using them. They are normally commented out by default.

-The TTS of the weather report is awesome! Al Roker look out! ;-) Two problems, though. Hank (what I call HS) reads through all the data once using the AT&T voices, and then reads through it all again using the 'old school' TTS voice. Makes me realize how my decision to buy the AT&T voices was a good one! The other problem is that HS stops everything else while the weather report is being read. Anyway to get that done in the background. (Although, thinking as I write this - if he only read it once, it wouldn't be such a bad thing...)
              look for this line and comment it out. I use it to write all the text that is spoken to a text file

hs.speakToFile speech,"Mike16","C:\inetpub\wwwroot\test2.wav"

and also the line:

hs.Delaytrigger 30, "MediaEncoder" That might clear up the double readings.

I tried looking through the script to find out why the old TTS is reading the report a second time, but didn't want to break anything. Man, that script is complicated! Hats off to the creators! I hope to understand half of it someday! ;-)

If I understand it correctly, the weather data is updated by triggering the Weatherman.txt script, which I have set to 30 minutes. Also, if the time is between the parameters set in the .INI file, it will read all the data. Is there any way to have the data updated every 30 minutes, but only read as requested? I don't think this is built in but you could always add a line to the speak function on the order of:
              if minute(time) &gt; 25 and minute(time) &lt; 35 then
              hs.speak
              end if
              This way it would only speak when its read on the half hour and not on the hour. This all assumes you set the trigger to reference the hour.

--------------
              -=A.J. Griglak
              <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Rupp

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I do not use the virtual devices you listed above. So thats probably why I have never looked into using them. They are normally commented out by default.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I figured that - you use some type of weatherstation, right?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>look for this line and comment it out. I use it to write all the text that is spoken to a text file

hs.speakToFile speech,"Mike16","C:\inetpub\wwwroot\test2.wav"

and also the line:

hs.Delaytrigger 30, "MediaEncoder" That might clear up the double readings.
                <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                I'm so proud of myself - out of the 2000+ lines in the script, that's the line I was playing with. However, I tried changing "Mike16" to "", but that didn't work. I'm not sure if your changes will work yet - see below.
                <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>This way it would only speak when its read on the half hour and not on the hour. This all assumes you set the trigger to reference the hour.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                Not quite what I'm looking for... I'm looking to have the weather read only when I want it to, for example - in my wake-up event. I don't want Hank reading the weather every hour - I'd rather ask him to read the weather. But, I would like the data updated for the web page... Hence the question.

However, there's a new problem now - The script starts fine, says "Please wait while I check the weather." and then in the log, this entry shows up:<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Error~!~Script error in file: WeatherMan.txt: 9:Subscript out of range: '[number: 0]' in line 2271
                </pre>Whats strange about this, is that weatherman.txt only has 2101 lines, where the hell is line 2271??

--------------
                -=A.J. Griglak

Comment

I too am getting an error. This is the exact reason that most people have shied away from this script that uses the weather channel. I just check and the error started about 9AM this morning. I'll have to look over the scripts and see if they have changed their pages yet again.

-Rupp

Comment

&gt;&gt;Whats strange about this, is that weatherman.txt only has &gt;&gt;2101 lines, where the hell is line 2271??

If there are includes in the script They are written into it. Makes debugging most unpleasant.

Good luck.

Don
                    Don

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Don Stephens:
                      &gt;&gt;Whats strange about this, is that weatherman.txt only has &gt;&gt;2101 lines, where the hell is line 2271??

If there are includes in the script They are written into it. Makes debugging most unpleasant.

Good luck.

Don<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don, thanks! You're a fellow former ECS'er, right?

So, can I assume that the error is on the 170th line of the included file?

--------------
                      -=A.J. Griglak

Comment

OK, I just noticed my weather reports (which have been working flawlessly) now says that the "current conditions are not available." Not a big deal, but would be nice to fix.

I'm assuming that the weather.com site changed slightly again. Maybe instead of someone (Rupp) fixing it, you could show me the steps involved with fixing it, so I can fix this and any other changes to their site in the future.

-=A.J.

--------------
                        -=A.J. Griglak

Comment

It's working fine from here. Maybe your conditions were unavailable. This actually happens from time to time on the weather.com site.

-Rupp

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rupp:
                            It's working fine from here. Maybe your conditions were unavailable. This actually happens from time to time on the weather.com site.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, just checked weather.com. Their site reports current condition of "Cloudy." The Weatherman script reports conitions are "Not Available" I'm not sure if it was there before or not, but I noticed that in the virtual device 'W1' that holds the current conditions, the UV Index is listed as Minimal. I don't remember seeing that before...

Where is the script getting the words "Not Available" Is it pulling it off the site somewhere, or is that generated from the script if it can't find the conditions?

If you need to look, you can check it here.

--------------
                            -=A.J. Griglak

Comment

I just saw this thread. The weatherman script should still be supported. It may just need some tweaking.

I recently worked out the parsing to get the weather info from the NWS instead of weather.com.

The parsing script has been running solid for a couple of months and weather reports from around the world are available.

I just have to clean up the scripts a bit and then maybe somebody could convert them to the weatherman script if there is enough demand.

In terms of the audio applet, the base code seems to change from time to time. You can get an update by going to the Weather.com Audio Page and looking at the source code for the applet.

If you need help with this, let us know.

Comment

Working...
                              X