Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"WARNING" or "ERROR" in Log Triggering Events?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"WARNING" or "ERROR" in Log Triggering Events?

I don't routinely scan my log files for errors or warnings but I would like to know when they occur as sometimes they are precursors to a hard fail. For example, a "Warning" that a polling activity was unable to communicate with a Z-wave switch means the next time HS needs to signal that switch it will probably fail. Is there some way to get an HS system Log entry of "Warning" or "Error" to trigger an Event or activate a device on the STATUS page?????????
    Any help would be appreciated.......

I wrote a simple plugin that will trigger on any key word that you want. It's called log monitor and it's available here:
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...405#post646405
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp,
      Thank you, I will give it a try.

Comment

Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Rupp,
          Having a bit of problem. Let me review sequence, I might have done something wrong:
          I'm at HS rev 2.2.........

1) I unzipped and put DLL in HS root directory

2) Restarted and found plug-in

3) Went to Setup/Interfaces and "enabled" then tried to "Save"; it hung there so I closed window and found a message box under saying I had to configure Log Monitor.

4) reopened Setup/Interfaces and clicked "Configure" and set up Q98 as my Virtual device; Set keywords to "Error, Warning"(without quotes--???)

5) On Status Inferface set up device Q98 as a "virtual" device.

6) Setup an Event to trigger when Q98 "changes to ON" then the Event Action resets Q98 "to OFF".

Problem#1: When I manually click the device on the Status page "OFF", the device status changes to "Device manually reset" and doesn't change from that when I manually turn the device "On". The device manually set to "ON" does trigger the Event. BUT,

Problem#2:When I generate a "Warning" in the Log, the Status of the Q98 device changes to the Log warning "message" but does NOT trigger the Event(?because the device is not "ON"???)

I thought devices states in "Status" indicator were established by the device "type" but it seems your plug-in is controlling???? What am I doing wrong?

Comment

Bob,
            My design (albeit bad) is that the off is the way to clear the last encountered error. The plugin sets the device value to 1 when the key word is encountered so I would use device value change as the trigger.

Comment

Rupp,
              Thanks, that works. i'm still baffled by the status message--can you explain???
              Bob

Comment

The text you see for the devices is simply the last string that contained the search terms. Turning the device off simply clears this text.

Comment

I never see the "Status" message on the device say "OFF", even when an event sets it to "Off"; for that matter I never see a value of "1" when your log detection of the Keyword(s) sets it to "1". My confusion revolves around where the "Status" date comes from and why it doesn't reflect the actual state of the device???? That being said I do appreciate the fact that the plug-in does work---Thanks,
                  Bob

Comment

Bob,
                    The plugin is designed to use a "virtual device" and as such isn't really an on off device. I'm just piggy backing off the on/off button to clear the status field. This may help. The on/off field is "normally" for the device status but I'm using this field as a plugin status. Does this help or confuse?

Comment

Rupp,
                      I think I am getting a better "picture" with each reply. Being new to HS and having other virtual devices in my setup that display On when you set them and Off when you reset them, I have a too simplistic view of what a device is. Is there any comprehensive documentation on "devices&device design" available??(the "help" files are very basic)
                      Thanks for your help,
                      Bob

Comment

If you look up setDeviceString and setDeviceValue in the scripting section it may help.

Comment

Working...
                        X