Nokia N800 Tablet $399

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nokia N800 Tablet $399

Has anyone looked at this device for use with HS? It looks pretty capable and much cheaper than a full tablet pc, though it is also little.

Search the board for "Nokia 770". That's the predecessor to the N800, and for home automation applications it's essentially equivalent. There has been quite a bit of discussion of the 770 here.

I use my 770 both at home and on the road to control Homeseer (via the Touchpad interface), monitor IP cameras, and control my Slimserver/SqueezeBox music systems.

The N800 has some nice bells and whistles that the 770 lacks, but none of them are relevant to its use as a controller. One bad decision that Nokia made (IMO) is to eliminate the hard-shell cover that the 770 has - sliding the cover on puts the 770 to sleep, and makes it impervious to any damage that carrying it in a pocket might cause.

I'd guess 770s ought to be available for quite a bit less than $399 (even before the N800 announcement, CompUSA was selling the 770 for $350).

- Dennis Brothers
    Last edited by brothers; February 16, 2007, 08:36 AM.

Comment

controlling Homeseer from a Linux client

brothers, how exactly do you do it with your Nokia tablet? Is it just a matter of viewing web pages served up by the Homeseer web server? If so, do you have pretty front ends or are you using the (rather clunky looking, IMHO) HS pages. Mainlobby is pretty but needs a windows client. Thanks!

-- Art

Comment

Originally posted by asteinmetz View Post
        brothers, how exactly do you do it with your Nokia tablet? Is it just a matter of viewing web pages served up by the Homeseer web server? If so, do you have pretty front ends or are you using the (rather clunky looking, IMHO) HS pages. Mainlobby is pretty but needs a windows client. Thanks!

-- Art
        Have you tried the touchpad interface? With a little CSS editing it can be made presentable. There's also the very nice looking Maestro interface.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by asteinmetz View Post

how exactly do you do it (HS) with your Nokia tablet? ... ... ...
          I use a Nokia N800 to control HS2 and REALLY like it! I use it both within the house and from elsewhere using WiFi HotSpots.

I use the normal HS web pages, not modified in any way what-so-ever. I put the N800 in full-screen mode and control lighting, appliances, turn the AC on and off, and control the MediaPlayer with it.

I tried the included TouchPad module but ended up going back to the regular HS web page.

The print is tiny. I wear bifocal glasses and usually use it by taking off my glasses and holding the N800 pretty close to my eyes. Others may think I look pretty geeky but it works well for me.

I recommend the Nokia N800 as long as you keep in mind that it is sold as an "Internet Tablet" and not a UMPC or anything else. It does have a wonderful screen! Mind you it's a pretty good PVP and MP3 player. I use the Nokia/Navicore GPS system with it in the car - works better than I was expecting.

Supposedly it will be even better tomorrow (Monday, June 11th, '07) when new firmware is reportedly going to be released which will include Skype support, with video, and SDHC support (if you can afford the 2 16GB SDHC cards it can take then that's 32 GB of MP3s, videos etc). I did not use the "700" but from all reports the "N800" is a LOT better (more powerful, more flexible, more memory, faster CPU) than the 700.

One of the reasons I bought it was for controlling HS2 both at home and away and for that it works pretty well.

Comment

I don't know if anyone is still interested, but Buy.com just put the N800 on sale for $229.99. If I hadn't already blown my wad on Christmas gifts, this would be very tempting....

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...54&dcaid=17653

Steve

Comment

What's the battery life on these devices? Any of you guys still use them?

Comment

it should be noted that there is a key difference in the 770 and n800 in that the newer one (including n810) has flash 7 support (the 770 only went to flash 6) and thus makes it a candidate for using the maestro interface.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                  What's the battery life on these devices? Any of you guys still use them?
                  The Nokia web site says 3.5 hours browsing, up to 13 days in standby mode.

Steve

Comment

These are a good buy. Nokia has just released OS2008 for the N800:

The Opera browser has been swapped out for a speedy Mozilla based browser
                    The processor speed has been bumped up to 400 Mhz
                    Built in Flash 9
                    FM Radio software
                    Beautiful new UI
                    Improved RSS reader
                    and much, much more: http://tabletblog.com/2007/12/intern...08-review.html
                    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                      The Opera browser has been swapped out for a speedy Mozilla based browser
                      Jon,

It may be something I can find elsewhere here on the board, but... How well does the standard HS2 web pages work on Mozilla? Do you have an N800? If it works with a web site as complex as yours, my guess is it would work with anything.

I really shouldn't spend money on something like this, but it is VERY hard to resist. You could probably push me over the edge with another positive post here.

Steve

Comment

Yes I have one and Homeseer 2 works fine with Mozilla (which essentially is Firefox). Just D/L firefox and try it on you site. As you saw from TrOjAn's browser poll, a high proportion of people use FF as their browser.

It works fine with my website apart from the menu bar is too big for the page (but that is self inflicted). The streaming also does not work but that is to be expected being M$ specific.

Other than that all pages display fine. If you get one, you will not be disappointed.
                        Jon

Comment

Arrrrrgh! You did it to me! I can't control myself!

Order placed....

Steve

Comment

Does anyone use this as a remote display for html pages from the HS server? More specifically, can you "push" a html page out to one of these displays based upon an HS event occuring??
                            I assume you could not have a HS "speaker" client running on one of them? Is there any other way to again "push" an audio or video file out to one of these?
                            Thanks for the feedback,
                            Bob

Comment

Originally posted by BobSpen View Post
                              Does anyone use this as a remote display for html pages from the HS server? More specifically, can you "push" a html page out to one of these displays based upon an HS event occuring??
                              I assume you could not have a HS "speaker" client running on one of them? Is there any other way to again "push" an audio or video file out to one of these?
                              Thanks for the feedback,
                              Bob
                              What exactly are you looking for? HTML doesn't allow for push for obvious security reasons. There would need to be some type of a client on these to "accept" a push. The speaker client will only run on a windows client and these do not run windows.

Comment

Working...
                              X