X10 Big Red Model KR15A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X10 Big Red Model KR15A

I acquired some of these on ebay to try for doorbell buttons. They work fine as a wireless doorbell except for one slight problem. My MR26 will not recognize any commands from them but the TM751 will ? I have tried many house and unit codes (that work now on MR26). Could there be something different in these units that anyone knows about ? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    Neil
    Newmarket Ontario

I got 5 buttons from ebay too (what seller did you get them from?) and they don't seem to be that reliable. I also noticed that if you hold the button too long, it will send out special commands (at least according to the HS log file) which can also cause problems. I was going to use them for my doorbell too, but since they aren't that reliable, I am just going to use them in my toolshop (manual battery charging etc) and kicking off other less important events.
    HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
    (aka xplosiv)
    Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

I think they were from a fellow named John ( I don,t have the info any more) 4 of them were about $12 and he threw in an extra one (that's about $6000 Canadian after you convert).

I notice the log shows E4 E On (that's my doorbell) and then immediately E Bright 12 (whatever that is). If you read the KR15A docs at X10 it's supposed to trip an alarm base station if you hold the button down so my guess is the Bright command looks after that. Mine work great as a wireless doorbell button but will only operate thru the TM751 but not MR26...strange-eh? Maybe they need a special device setup in Homeseer. I just called mine appliance modules.

They make a nice cheap push button but you need to script the device to off because these never send an off command.They can be coded for whatever you like.And they were cheap !
      Neil
      Newmarket Ontario

Comment

I wrote a tools.txt script (still a work in progress) that has a bunch of useful functions in there, one of them is named "X10toggle" which is what I use with these buttons, that way you only need one event to control ON and OFF and don't have to write a custom script for it. I got mine for around $3 (5 units) + S/H, so it wasn't a bad deal at all.

I got one for my battery chargers, one to turn the house on/off and one that sits on our nightstand in the bedroom, so when my wife thinks she hears something or is worried, she can hit it, and it turns the lights on in the living room etc.
        HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
        (aka xplosiv)
        Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

but those buttons are designed to work with the X10 wireless alarm system. They will function in the X10 environment with out the system, but they can be very temperamental.

Peace,

Dave

Comment

A really old thread I know - But can anybody tell me if the 'Big Red Button' sends a signal if it's pressed momentarily, or does it have to be for the 4 seconds as described?
            Lance

Comment

Originally posted by lancenorton
              A really old thread I know - But can anybody tell me if the 'Big Red Button' sends a signal if it's pressed momentarily, or does it have to be for the 4 seconds as described?
              It does send out a signal if only held momentarily. I have one at the bottom of my basement stairs and use it to turn off all the basement lights. I just hit it as I start up the stairs.

Dick Masson
              Dick
              HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Comment

Thanks RAM , will place my order now
                Lance

Comment

Kr15a

I have been using 2 of these for wireless doorbells with the wgl800 antenna successfully for a while now.

Just drill thru the back behind the battery and screw them to the brick.

It just struck me that the batteries are original in these (and they are outside in Canadian winters) and I started this thread in 2002 !

They are really tempermental to program (with the push and hold to set the codes concept) and you have to get the timing perfect to get the codes to work.

The button push is just momentary to make them fire.

I have the associated events play seasonal wave files and turn on the outside lights for a couple of minutes as well.
                  Neil
                  Newmarket Ontario

Comment

I know this thread is several years old, but I was wondering how well the KR15's held up to the weather as doorbells. I too live in the frozen north.
                    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Used mine for about a year, unfortunatly my front door gets the sun from about 1pm onwards, so the white plastic around the edge discoloured a bit to cream, you do also need to give them quite a firm press so a few callers ended up knocking the door.

So in the end I used a DS10a connected to a normal door bell which is totally weatherproof. Have had this in place without any problems at all.
                      Lance

Comment

The DS10 might be a better choice actually for a doorbell. You could just drill straight thru the wall and put the DS10 on the inside.

I'm still curious about using the KR15 with ACRF2 to make some use of the "extra" functions.
                        Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Working...
                        X