Cabling Whole House Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabling Whole House Audio

I am thinking of adding whole house audio but at a low cost. I think I would like to use Self powered computer speakers. I was wondering if I could send the audio over CAT 5 or should I sheild that line level audio?

Or should I buy a cheap amp and buy some speakers and run the amplified signal over the CAT 5?

Rob

I am using regular cat5 to get the signal from my Homeseer server downstairs to my yamaha PC 2.1 speakers upstairs. No special shielding, no humming or inteference, it runs great! Now this is only 1 set of speakers, I too want all house audio (I only used 1 out of the 4 pairs of cat5 for this), and not sure if the signal is strong enough to allow me to connect several cat5 connections from speakers in other rooms to the same connector on my soundcard. Something I will have to try. I was also going to run a Mic line in each speaker cat5 cable , but haven't tested that yet (not sure if it will interfere).
    HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
    (aka xplosiv)
    Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

my pc sound card was powering 3 pairs of powered computer speakers throughout the house (unshielded cat5 wire connecting them) and also 2 stereo receivers (RG6 connecting)

Comment

mycrobyte, did you just simply connect all cat5 speaker wires to one single rca/headphone jack and plug it in to the soundcard? I want to do the exact same thing.
        HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
        (aka xplosiv)
        Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

I am a communtications tech by trade. I used cat 3 voice cable (three pair) for my audio. I had it run from my sound card directly out to my speackers on all levels of my home. It woked great.
          Now because I am adding speackers the load was getting to be to much, so I picked up a ussed Bogen 15 watt amp and added a transfomer to all my 8 ohm speakers to make them 25 volt and the results are excelent.
          Kirk

http://cleverhouseautomation.ca
          http://southcoastwebsitedesign.ca

Comment

I ran all the cat 5 wires to a mini stereo jack I fit into a wall plate. The computer sound card 'line out' is connected to this mini stereo jack. Clean install with the WAF factor.

Comment

Does anyone use an Audio DA or do you just use Y jacks to sent the audio to all the speakers?

Comment

Working...
              X