Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to customise the top of Homeseer pages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to customise the top of Homeseer pages?

At present, it is simple to customise the footer of the Homeseer pages by editing the tail*.htm files.

However, there does not seem to be a way to customise the top part of the page which has in far too large letters "Homeseer Web control" (which is redundant given it is in the browser title bar) and a Homeseer logo which links to the homeseer website (pointless advertising after I have bought the product and would never use the link in any case) on the time /sunrise/ sunset bar.

I would like to remove the superfluous text and logo to make the pages more useful on web devices which do not have the screen estate to waste on such items. It would also be nice to add/remove information in the time/sunset/sunrise/pointless logo link bar.

Is there a way to either:

1) change the default header for pages in this way?
    2) A way to use completely custom pages which could inherit the content of the default pages (i.e. get all the content between the common header and footer from the default pages easily into a custom page)?

m

You can either write you own emulator of the header information or use these custom includes:

http://www.c-website.com/securelinks5.htm

Do a search and you'll have plenty to read about these include files.

-Rupp
    ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Hi Rupp. A question for you. I guess I dont understand how to keep Homeseer from serving the pages it wants to serve. Since it has it's own web server built in, how can we get it to serve only the custom pages that we want to serve, and not the default ones it wants to serve?
      A computer's attention span is as long
      as it's powercord.

Comment

sdanks,
        It's not a matter of HS server servering pages as much as it is you requesting them. I hope this makes since. If you put your own page in the HS/html directory and request it that is what you will see. So if you want you own pages you create them and call them. So you create a page called mypage.htm and call it by using http://localhost/mypage.htm if you have HS running on a port other than 80 you need to include this in the url.

Comment

o.k., so I got to reading about how it works in the online help system, and I guess to get your page, you would go in and set Homeseer to serve the initial custom page and then you have control over what is served from then on. That way you dont have to specify the initial page name on the URL line. I just wasnt looking in the right place.
          A computer's attention span is as long
          as it's powercord.

Comment

Problem is, it seems to be an all or nothing choice. If you want to have custom pages and headers, that works fine and you can control which pages are requested by your own headers. But if you link to a standard page such as Logs or Events, then you're back to the standard HS headers again.

Has anyone dealt with this in a fashion so as to customze the header stuff and make it consistent across all internal as well as external pages?

Comment

It depends on how much customization you want.

There are several files that can be customized that will show up in the HS generated pages.

Meta.htm - is in the head section of a page. Useful for adding javascripts
              Head.htm - Right above the logo bar.
              Links.htm - Right below the logo bar.
              Tail.htm - Bottom of the page.

Each of these pages allow you to add to the HS pages.

There is a span around the logo bar that uses a style of logotable.
              If you want to remove the HS logo bar then all you need to do is edit the style sheet and add the following.

.logotable
              {
              display: none;
              }

Learn style sheets if you want to customize the HS generated pages.
              Check out the program Top Style
              http://www.bradsoft.com/topstyle/
              Its a style sheet editor. Very easy to use and there is a free version.
              --
              Jeff Farmer
              HS 3, HSPhone
              My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
              Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Thanks for that help. After some digging I also found that in the Settings.INI file there is a line links= that also appears to provide some hook for establishing standard links.

UltraView, WeatherXML, and HomeSeer all appear to have implemented links a bit differently so I've been trying to unravel this and implement a standard set of links across all the pages.

..starting to come together.

Comment

The links value that you are seeing in the settings.ini file will only show up if you don't use a links.htm.

The HomeSeer links will also not show if you use links.htm
                  --
                  Jeff Farmer
                  HS 3, HSPhone
                  My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
                  Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

In case someone is trying to get the logotable stylesheet entry to work, you would need to use #logotable and not .logotable since logotable is an id, so it would be this:

#logotable
                    {
                    display: none;
                    }

On a related note... much like m stated, I also wanted to regain the real estate eaten up by the logobar and title, so I removed the logotable (similar to the stylesheet method above) and replaced it with my own logobar integrated with my menus (from DooMenubar) in links.htm. I then use the following two lines in my ASP pages to get the links.htm to show:

<\!--#include file="/includes/logobar.inc"-->
                    <\%=CreateLogoBar\%>

<%=CreateLogoBar%>
                    Here is code in logobar.inc:
                    <%
                    function CreateLogoBar()
                    dim strHTML
                    dim HSFSO
                    dim strFile

SET strFile = HSFSO.OpenTextFile(hs.GetAPPPath & "\html\links.htm",1)
                    strHTML = strHTML & vbCrLf & strFile.ReadAll
                    strFile.close

CreateLogoBar = strHTML
                    end function
                    %>
                    <\%
                    function CreateLogoBar()
                    dim strHTML
                    dim HSFSO
                    dim strFile
                    SET HSFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
                    SET strFile = HSFSO.OpenTextFile(hs.GetAPPPath & "\html\meta.htm",1)
                    strHTML = strFile.ReadAll
                    strFile.close
                    strFile.close
                    CreateLogoBar = strHTML
                    end function
                    <%
                    function CreateLogoBar()
                    dim strHTML
                    dim HSFSO
                    dim strFile
                    strFile.close
                    strFile.close
                    CreateLogoBar = strHTML
                    end function
                    %><%
                    function CreateLogoBar()
                    dim strHTML
                    dim HSFSO
                    dim strFile
                    strFile.close
                    strFile.close
                    CreateLogoBar = strHTML
                    end function
                    %>
                    \%>

Remove the "\" slashes in front of the percent signs and exclamation point. Does anyone know how to get this message boards editor to take these sets of characters? It seems to just make the code disappear if I didn't put that slash in there. Even using the CODE tags didn't work.

Anyway, all of my pages including the HS built-in pages will have the same look and feel at the top. Here is what my replacement logobar looks like:

Comment

Lee III,
                      The easiest way to standardize the links is to create a file called links.htm and place it in your HTML folder. Then any links you put here show on all HS generated pages.

Comment

Finished that. Thanks!! Now that I have a standard set, the customizations will be much easier. I was looking at some of the menubars out there that offer some slick styles...more to come. :-P

Comment

Lee,

Something else you may want to consider...There is a plugin called web wrapper available from the updater that lets you put a single line of code at the beginning and end of your pages that will generate the header and footer. I don't know what benefits Secure Links or customheader/footer (two other methods I've seen to accomplish this) have over web wrapper, but it sure is easy. Once your Links.htm is in place, all of the internal HS pages will automatically call it (as Rupp said) as will the web wrapper code. Here are the two lines of code you would add to your custom pages:

<%=hs.plugin("Web Wrapper").Header("Guest Book",0, False)%>
                          =hs.plugin("Web Wrapper").Header("Guest Book",0, False)
                          =hs.plugin("Web Wrapper").Footer

(I removed the standard vbscript begin and end markers so the example would show)

In the first line of code above, the first parameter is the page title, the second is (I believe) a refresh interval, and the third tells web wrapper if it should restrict guest access. I almost always need to convert any custom pages I borrow to use this, but as you can see, all of my pages are 100% consistent throughout. Please ask if you need any help.
                          Last edited by Tom Kern; November 21, 2004, 09:28 PM.
                          -Tom

Visit Kernhome
                          Kern Theater Gallery

(User: guest / Pass: guest)

Comment

Tom,

I think you are using doo menu bar. I am. I was wondering how I can space the sunrise and sunset icons out a little more on that bar as they are a little cramped. I really want to space the whole bar out more. They are a little cramped on your page too. I also want to add the temperature as you have, but on my bar with the sunrise/sunset icons. Can this be done while using doo menu? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X