Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

x10 outlet ethernet conflict?

Hey everyone,

Was wondering if anyone was using the electrical outlet method for computer networking, and if so, if x10 and "that networking method" are compatible. For an example of the electrical outlet method see http://us.slingmedia.com/page/slinglink_turbo.html
    Can someone also tell me the "official" tech term for this technology? and what the best and/or fastest units are, brand and product identification would be GREAT.

--Thanks

Doug

Doug,
    I don't know that the community has settled on a single name. I've seen 'Powerline Ethernet' and 'Powerline IP' and 'IP over powerline' among others. I suggest doing a Google search on one or more of those terms.

Here's a link to some hardware on eBay.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Netgea...QQcmdZViewItem
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Most PLC (power line carrier) technologies are barely reliable enough for simple on/off/dim communications. I can't imagine any PLC technology being reliable enough for data (ethernet) communication.

Comment

Originally posted by DC View Post
        Most PLC (power line carrier) technologies are barely reliable enough for simple on/off/dim communications. I can't imagine any PLC technology being reliable enough for data (ethernet) communication.
        Well it is . In Korea, for example, ISPs use PLC networks quite a bit, since there is often a power line to remote villages, but no phone line to provide A/DSL type services.

X10 PLC uses an 120 KHz frequency in the deadzone of the 50 Hz transitions. Networking PLC frequencies can vary, depending on the manufacturer, but are almost certainly at much higher frequencies.

Problems may be likely if you have X10 filters that block, or throw out non 120 KHz frequencies, to reduce noise on the line.

Comment

I have some Ethernet over power adapters in use in my home, along with my X10 PLC. I looked at the specs on them, and they use a different range for signalling than X10 does. I haven't noticed any change in PLC operation since installing them.

Comment

Working...
          X