Weather Display client on HS machine and CPU usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather Display client on HS machine and CPU usage

AMD K6II 500Mhz cycles between 10% to 100% every couple seconds. I have determined that this is caused by WD client, anyone else see this?

SteveD

I saw the exact same thing running WD and HS on same machine (1 GHz 500 mb ram). Its WD and the polling of the com port evry second or two for data. I have an old amd 350MHz machine that had been setting idle for over a year, plugged it in and loaded Weathr Display on it over a month ago. I first did a clean win98 install (couldn't get Win2K to load -hardware too old) and then loaded WD. Its been up for over a month adn never has been rebooted. This amazes me that Win98 could go this long but is a tribute to the Weather Display software. I then set up another version of WD on my 1GHZ machine and I'm running it as the client. The other machine is configured as the server. This way I rarly have to go to the other machine other than to configure somwthing new. I didn't have another monitor so I use NetMeeting to do all the work on the other machine. This set up has worked flawlessly since getting it all set up. I never knew how cp intensive polling the com port could be but it works fine on the old machine. One last thing, I ftp the web files from the server to the client directly to my IIS directory and server the weather info from there.

-Rupp
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have two machines running XP Pro, an AMD 350 with WD server and an AMD 500 running HS and WD client. My CPU problem is on the machine running the client, therefore no com port polling on that machine, the data is being sent over the LAN. The WD server bounces 5% to 10% then jumps to about 80%.

Before I knew about WD client I installed IIS with the intention of ftping to the HS machine. IIS is a little beyond my abilities at this point so was never able to get that to work.

A few I'm confused questions. Are you serving all of your web pages from IIS or just the WD? If you are running the WD client why do you need to ftp anything?

Thanks
      SteveD

Comment

I have WD both server and client running on W2k Server. On the client machine, I also run seti@home as a service. seti typically shows 99% cpu, while wd shows 0-1%. There is no indication of com port polling at all, which seems right since there is not supposed to be any com port data. In fact the wd window says "(comm port disconnected)"

I have wd server co-locatd with homeSeer down in the basement. Dont know the cpu figure off top of my head, but never noticed anything out of ordinary.

Fred LaPlante

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve D:
          I have two machines running XP Pro, an AMD 350 with WD server and an AMD 500 running HS and WD client. My CPU problem is on the machine running the client, therefore no com port polling on that machine, the data is being sent over the LAN. The WD server bounces 5% to 10% then jumps to about 80%.

Before I knew about WD client I installed IIS with the intention of ftping to the HS machine. IIS is a little beyond my abilities at this point so was never able to get that to work.

A few I'm confused questions. Are you serving all of your web pages from IIS or just the WD?
          I'm serving WD pages as well as other weather pages and my temp05 graphs
          If you are running the WD client why do you need to ftp anything?
          I had set up the server half of WD a couple fo weeks before I realized that it could be in a client server configuration. Therefore I had all the setting on the server set up and tweeked. Then when I set up the client on my HS/ IIS machine I didn't want to replicate all the settings again on the client. It was just easier to leave the the FTP setup and all the settings on the server alone. Hey if it works don't mess with it. Later I simply added WD to my HS machine and aven't set anything up other than the main display.
          Thanks
          SteveD<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That 80% bounce is probably HS running a script. When my 1GHZ machine running HS, executes any HomeSeer command it goes to 100% for a couple of seconds and then returns.

-Rupp

Comment

Rupp

Not sure if you can do this with your particular setup, but here, I have abandoned FTP uploading all together. I have specified the location of the webfiles folder to be in my web, turned off use weather displays own FTP, while leaving ON the FTP main switch. Then I selected update webfiles every minute. The combined effect, is no slowdown for FTPing, as well as updates that are nearly live.

Skibum
            Skibumsplace

Comment

I never even thought of that. Just map a network drive and have it update the files dorectly. I'll give it a shot. Where do you chnage the directory that WD Saves the web stuff in?

-Rupp

Comment

Setup/ftp/Set webfiles location

then in the Connections panel, uncheck use WD FTP

then in web upload times check update every minute.

Skibum
                Skibumsplace

Comment

Rupp
                  OK, I can the ftp thing, I didn't get mine configured before finding the client so I am doing pretty much what Skibum is doing.

Skibum
                  I am really being thick headed on this ftp thing. You are not using ftp but you leave the main ftp switch on, is there a benefit? You are not using ftp but your setup does't slow down for FTPing? Sorry for being so dense about this one guys.

SteveD

OH! are you doing ftp download of metar?

Comment

If you turn off the main FTP switch, the webfiles do not update....

....and it is not like I figured this out myself... I had to ask Brian. I tried it the way that you would think to do it, and of course it did not work. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Skibum
                    Skibumsplace

Comment

Just where is this "main ftp switch"? I looked everywhere, probobly except where it is, and I don't have it turned on. My web pages are updating just fine. With the cpu thing I set it to ten minutes.

http://www.stevesplace.d2g.com

SteveD

Comment

Steve

The main FTP switch is the one that goes from green to red when switched on the Setup/setup FTP menu.

Skibum
                        Skibumsplace

Comment

Working...
                        X