Homeseer and Virtual Weather Station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeseer and Virtual Weather Station

I would like to add info from the VWS to my Homeseer website. I am a bit confused about what I need to order for VWS. They have three versions of their software, including an internet version, and a plugin for HS. I am willing to buy whatever works, since I don't have time to write scripts and such myself. So, if anyone can provide guidance here it would be appreciated.
    Thx.
    MikeA

Have a look in the VWS section I believe there might be some information on this subject or at least a contact.

-Rupp
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Rupp
      Thanks for the suggestion. I sent them an email yesterday to see what their recommendation would be, but I haven't heard back yet.
      MikeA

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeA:So, if anyone can provide guidance here it would be appreciated.
        Thx.
        MikeA<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe you want any of the three versions of VWS that they sell, plus the plugin. I'm using the internet edition and the plugin to import weather data into my setup and it works fine. VWS exports it weather info into a file that the plugin opens and parses into virtual devices that it creates inside HomeSeer.

Comment

Just make sure the version you choose supports your current internet connection (dial-up / non)

-Dave-

Comment

You need the Internet version if you intend to transfer files and graphics via automated FTP or get METAR data from the Internet (and other Internet functions). I use my own scripts to read the daily CSV files VWS puts out for my rainfall/sprinkler scripts, but you can adapt your own to pull just about any output from VWS. If you want real-time info to populate HS variables, use the plug-in ($).

- huggy
            |
            | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
            HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

As another option there is a weather package that is very comparable. The graphics aren't quite as flashy but their not that much different. Its called Weather-Display. Its a lot cheaper and even supports a one-wire weather station which VWS does not. It has all the same bells and whistles. The developer/owner is a lot like Rich as in he takes request and incorporates them into the software. One good point is there is a plugin that comes with the software for HomeSeer. It was developed in conjunction with a couple of HS board members. Might be worth a 30 dya trial.

-Rupp
              -Rupp
              sigpic

Comment

Rupp et al
                Thanks for the pointers. I think I'll try out Weather Display. Nice to see the same 'faces' in the Weather Display discussion group (Rupp, Skibum & SteveD).
                MikeA

Comment

Say Rupp

I wasnt even aware that Brian was including my script with the lasest builds....thats great.

Thought I would include this script.

Create an event which runs the enclosed script.
                  Insert in the voice command windowwithout the quotes)

"(What's|What is) the weather outside"

enable mic and phone

Skibum

http://www.skibumsplace.com
                  Attached Files

Comment

Theres a zip file included that includes the following 4 files: install.txt , create_weather.txt, weatherinsdie.txt, weatheroutside.txt? Are these the ones you thought should be there?

-Rupp
                    -Rupp
                    sigpic

Comment

Rupp

Yes they are. They are kind of raw, no error routines and such, but they are the ones that I use without problems. The add in I posted was for some VR and TTS.

Skibum

http://www.skibumsplace.com

Comment

Working...
                      X