Help implementing an idea?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help implementing an idea?!

Ok, here goes. I use HS with MainLoddy to control 20+ audio/video devices. I am frustrated that HS does not seem to be able to handle functions like a cd player's rewind or fast forward, because most remotes continually "blast" the signal while the button is depressed. ML implemented a "repeat" function (I believe at my request, it is amazing when people actually listen to you) but ML does not repeat the signal fast enough to have a true rew. or fast forward.

Now for my new solution. Could i set up a loop in HS blasting the rewind/fast forward signal until some event happens (like until an x-10 light is off, but then not actually plug a light into that x-10 plug?) If, so can you recommend an inexpensive way for HS to receive the X-10 status?

Other than buying a global cache, is there any other inexpensive way to wirelessly report the status of tv or other audio/video device to H.S.?

Thanks all

Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ML implemented a "repeat" function (I believe at my request, it is amazing when people actually listen to you) but ML does not repeat the signal fast enough to have a true rew. or fast forward.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It sounds like ML needs to "listen" closer and fix the implementation.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

The limitation, I believe, is actually in both HS and ML. I was not happy with controlling my receiver's volume via ML, so I created events in HS that sent several volume up or down commands per event trigger (with pressing a button in ML triggering the event) So, let's say my event sends 4 volume down commands (I have the volume down command repeated 4 times in a row in the event's IR tab). It still executes really slow. It looks like there is a 0.5 - 1 second delay between commands (I have "visible" IR emitters (they blink red when transmitting). So it appears, that HS can only execute the commands so fast. I had the same effect issuing the commands directly with the repeat mode - so I think the limitation is somewhere in HS. It could also be in how you learn the command - I use an Ocelot and HELD the volume button when learning the command. Perhaps, if I try tapping the button and learning the command instead, it will repeat quicker.

Krumpy's working on a serial control solution (MLS Plugin) for Yamaha receivers (which is what I have) that will hopefully fix this problem for me, but It won't help your particular scenario.

Try relearning the Ir command using the "tap" method.

I'll joining you in posting a feature request at the help desk to get some sort of "hold" option for IR transmission.
      John
      Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
      Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
      HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
      Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

John,
        I have just the opposite problem with my blind controllers. I had to put in delays between the IR commands to slow them down so I do not believe it an HS thing. It may be that different IR controllers operate at different speeds.

Comment

Rupp, what are you using for IR? I bet it's how I learned the IR to my Ocelot rather than the Ocelot and/or HS itself. I'm going to try relearning with the "tap" technique and see what happens.

By the way, there are various "techniques" for learning IR mentioned over at remotecentral.com
          You can hold a button; tap a button; place an opaque object between remote & receiver, hold button on remote and remove object during transmission; you can do any of these at point blank, a few inches, a few feet, or across the room; or through a paper towel/toilet paper tube to exclude extraneous IR, and several combinations of these... and the results REALLY do make a difference.
          John
          Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
          Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
          HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
          Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

John,
            I'm using the Ocelot and I did it fact only tap the blind command. I did have a problem a while back where my TV would change 2 channels at a time and a simply re-learning fixed this problem so it may in fact fix your problem but my require more Ir commands to be send to accomplish the same amount of volume change as well.

Comment

Hmmmm----

First I am using a 1623pc ir controller not an ocelet. For the 1623pc, it seems you can have a "repeating" continous ir blast, for instance I dim my lights 50% (with an ir to x10 convertor) with a huge continuous blast, about 50 ir blasts one right after another (it is continues-no delays of .5 to 1 sec), so I do not think the problem lies in HS at least with a 1623pc. Also volume control is similar but not the same problem. As I might want to fast forward for 10 seconds or 120 seconds. Volume to me seems a lot more "discrete" in segements.

Also another problem that I have already overcome with the 1623pc, ESPECIALLY, with yamaha pieces is that after I learn a yamaha ir command it will not work unless in the event I have 2 instances of the ir learned command, back to back in the event, essentially yamaha and some other brands require a "double pulse" of a learn ir command thru the 1623pc to operate the audio/video equipment. I hope that info helps someone else out there.

Also, the second part of my question was not answered, how can HS receive the "status" of an x-10 device, and is there an inexpensive way to check status of audio/video wirelessly?

(Appologizes in advance for my lack of understanding of the correct terminology i.e. x10-ir converter/double pulse, etc.)

P.S. is there anyway to email someone directly, do forum posters have access to other members emails?

Thanks again.

--Doug

Comment

Please disregard the email thing. I figured out that you can click on someone's name for that. For us dummies, it might help if peoples names were underlined (in my mind that is a hyperlink, not the pretty blue color that is people's nickname etc.)

Comment

Greg,

How are you controlling your blinds?

Would I have to run wires to the windows? I hope not. Is there a wireless solution of some kind?
                  Cheers,
                  Bob
                  Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Bob,
                    I'm using powermids. I just ordered another one today. They do not look to bad. I have managed to hide them so far. The one controlling the the blinds in the garage was the hardest to place to control both blinds. I ended up setting the powermid on top of the garage door opener and its working perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                    X